Author Topic: Osage flatbow  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Maxwelliuston

Osage flatbow
« on: December 10, 2021, 06:20:19 pm »
This was my first osage build and first real character stave.  This was a hell of a stave to learn how to chase a ring on, I tell you what.  Super stoked to finally be in the osage club - I totally get it now. I can still count on my fingers how many bows I've made so far and each and every one has been a great learning experience for me and this was no exception. A challenging build that resulted in a snappy shooter thats a ton of fun. My inexperience, of course, yoinked in some set during tillering but after shooting it for about a week now, it doesn't seem to want to take on anymore.

66" ntn
50# @28

Offline Maxwelliuston

Re: Osage flatbow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 06:21:25 pm »
More glamor shots

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 07:06:26 pm »
I really like it - how you tillered the reflex in the upper limb wasnt easy I think. set looks good - Ive only build 3 osage so far and all had very much set. heat treating reflex turned out as a good idea to prevent stringfollow. also chasing a growth ring was a challenge here right? the back looks like a hollow shape. well done man! Oh yeah and... nice fade outs :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 04:30:47 am by Rowan Bows »

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 10:27:20 pm »
Love how you did the fades!

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 04:58:46 pm »
Nice bow, and welcome to the osage club as you say. I'm always grateful that I've been able to aquire osage.  I hope you have some more to work with.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 06:51:09 pm »
It's a nice bow. Is the handle your typical design?
Don

Offline Maxwelliuston

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 07:26:42 pm »
It's a nice bow. Is the handle your typical design?

I haven't built enough bows in general to have a "typical design" but no, I haven't tried that shaping before. I had to get a gooseneck scraper to chase the back on this one and I wanted to get my money's worth so I used it to dig at the handle section

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 04:05:29 am »
Well done :)
Looks like a solid bow :)
Osage holds onto moisture for a good while. I like to rough out the bow and chase a back ring- then let it sit inside, somewhere warm and dry for a few days.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 09:25:49 am »
Nicely done. I remember my first Osage to. It was freshly cut and rubbery when I got it. I wasn’t real impressed at first. I did like bownarra and when I worked on it a few months later I was amazed at the difference.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 06:47:33 pm »
Nice work, congrats, looks very good to me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 09:05:23 pm »
Very well done with a difficult stave. Looks like a good tiller to me.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 01:14:43 pm »
Great job on a tough stave. Nothing wrong with a lil set, they seem to shoot a bit smoother
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Maxwelliuston

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 03:31:54 pm »
Nice bow, and welcome to the osage club as you say. I'm always grateful that I've been able to aquire osage.  I hope you have some more to work with.

Unfortunately, I don't. This was from a piece I got on the cheap from eBay. Osage isn't native by me and the properties that I've noticed that do have it, have them as frontage trees which makes asking permission to cut kinda moot

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 03:03:23 pm »
Yes well done! If any thing I could only suggest a tad of mass out at the fades. I wish I would have been where you are now at 10 bows or so. Again well done. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Will B

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 07:13:09 pm »
Congrats on a very nice osage bow. Those character staves can teach us a lot. Well done!