Author Topic: What Fish skins?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
What Fish skins?
« on: December 11, 2021, 06:27:44 am »
There's been some discussion on backing with sturgeon and wolf fish recently. I guess only certain types of fish can be used?  What should I look for? I believe some types, like eel, can be used as a structural element as an alternative to rawhide, but others are used more as decoration. What types work well, what should I look for/avoid.  I really want to know about species I might find in a fish mongers, for instance, can I use things like monkfish, Pollock or hake?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: What Fish skins?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 06:58:41 am »
Carp makes a good backing, and they get large, that is the only one I have used. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 09:05:08 am »
I have used walleye skins as accents for decoration. Finding a fish large enough is difficult though. From looking online I have really only seen carp and sturgeon skins used. I have two 30 inch chinook salmon skins in the freezer that I am waiting to use as a test, however those come from a big salmon that are not very common in most places. I look forward to other people's input into this tooo!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 09:56:05 am »
I have a sinew backed Jay Massey bow that has halibut skin on it. It's not very decorative with it's flat gray color but adds water proofing and protects the sinew backing.
 I think any fish skin that is big enough could be used as a bow backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 04:52:56 pm »
Had a chat with my nearest fishmonger, he's happy to let me have skins but reckons salmon are the largest fish he deals with. Would salmon work?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 06:07:55 pm »
I’ve been wanting to try catfish.  It’s strong as hell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 07:01:04 pm »
Stuck, any fish skin should work. The  decorative value varies with species but I think any would look cool. Salmon should work good. It is oily so be  sure to degrease before using. You can either freeze for storage for a short time or tack them out to dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 07:04:57 pm »
I've often wondered whether you could piece perch skins together for a non structural backing. Perch skins were also used as glue in some 2-wood bows, I believe
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 07:06:59 pm »
Sure you could. Most fish skins are only decorative or moisture proofing.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 07:54:23 pm »
Thanks , Pat. Maybe even more interesting if you made glue from it, and also attached the perch skins with it. It's coming up ice fishing time shortly, perch season....
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 09:10:51 pm »
Gray triggerfish skin is a very good backing for adding strength to the back.  It’s not particularly decorative, and it requires overlapping several skins, but in my book, it’s nature’s fiberglass.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:40:45 am by Stickhead »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 04:29:24 am »
I tanned a strip of salmon skin and it is tough stuff. would add protection and some strength
Not so stunning as it has shade of gray but being a little transparent I bet you can do some color work on the bow and apply the skin over it
If you go salmon skin try to find the right pressure/tool to take off the scales from the skin or you will ruin the pattern
look the "scar" I made in the left top  for using the knife too aggressively

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 08:42:46 am »
How did you tan it?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 09:04:15 am »
The best looking fish skins I have seen on a bow were grass carp skins done by John Scifres

Here is a tutorial on his web page that he did on applying them.

https://sticknstring.webs.com/carpskinningabow.htm

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 10:27:17 am »
I wouldn't tan the fish skin but dry them or apply them green just like with snake skins.