Author Topic: What else would you suggest?  (Read 4820 times)

Offline TRACY

What else would you suggest?
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:55:49 am »
I'm new to flint knapping and have assembled some tools through advice here and books. I'm a visual type learner and have probably taken more time to understand a particular method or term than the average Joe. I thought I would post a pic of what I currently have/use to make rubble. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tracy

[attachment deleted by admin]
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: What else would you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:16:57 am »
Looks like a good kit-you're off to a good start. You might want to make an Ishi stick at some point. How hard are those hammerstones? You usually want them to be as soft and gritty as possible and still hold together. Got an abrader?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:47:38 am »
Like Hillbilly - that looks like a good kit. ishi stick and hand pad with a slot cut into it to channel the flakes through, or a leather hand pad works just as well. Depends on what your used to. Nice point ya got there :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:21:34 am »
More time and more rock!!! ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:53:31 am »
Thanks for the input.

Hillbilly- I would say they are not soft and gritty like you suggest and the abrader is yet another piece of the puzzle to figuring this out for me. Thanks

Cowboy- I've just been using leather but not enough. I may have to look into a thicker pad and the channel makes sense. Longer flakes. Thanks

Pat- I agree. Time is harder to find than rock though.Thanks

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »
For an abrader use a chuck of old grinding wheel.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 05:46:48 pm »
looks like a good starter kit, some soft limestone hammer stone for percussion,if you ve noticed yuor copper pressuer flaker bending ,you may want to shorten it up by half its length, it looks a bit too long,also if you can find antlers that are more straight you can rotate them to keep you angles consistent and they will last longer too ..... good luck  in all your endeavours........   robustusmagnon

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »
oh man that looks great, i dont have much but i can say iv heard a lot about and ishi stick and you should make it.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:52:14 am »
It looks like I need to add an Ishi stick and an abrading stone.

Dana- Like the grinding wheel stone for the abrader. Thanks

Robustus- I've got limestone in the driveway. You've been there and done that with the copper bending. It's the largest gauge I could find but definitely need to shorten it. I'll search my pile of antler for somerthing a little straighter also. Thanks

Thanks HT