Author Topic: Winters were tough back then  (Read 2322 times)

Offline BrianS

Winters were tough back then
« on: December 21, 2021, 11:11:54 am »
Hello Everybody,
Mother Nature is in charge still but Winter seemed tougher when I was younger. Here is a video I made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL3caKrxUL4
Crazy Blizzard back then.
take care,
brian

Offline White Falcon

Re: Winters were tough back then
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 02:06:07 pm »
My back yard in Texas last year. Wish we got more. I do agree it was tuffer when I was young.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 01:24:48 am »
Up on the Front Range of Colorado, we could get 3 feet or more of snow rather often.  Down here on Lodgepole Creek, not so much, but a lot of wind to blow it to Kansas!😂
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 07:49:42 am »
Severe storms are always an event that seems to stick in peoples' minds.The 1970's,1980's had more than their fair share in those times.Not really complaining here just showing what it takes to live here.
Being out on a farm in the northern midwest taking care of hundreds livestock was a lot of work.Three day blows of 50 to 70 mph winds.No electricity for days,15' tall drifts,1 lane traffic on 2 lane highways and many gravel roads completely closed.Puts a stress on everyone.After storms like that you moved snow pretty much every day depending which way the wind blew.A lot of it by hand with a shovel.It piles up quick and does'nt go away for quite some time.These pictures are just a small example from what I would see every day for months some winters.

Nowadays being retired I'm lucky that I only need to keep a 3/4 mile lane open.

Got a good idea what it was like in the late 1800's without the equipment.Tougher times back then yet with lots of death all around too.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 08:18:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 11:13:45 am »
I've had this unopened six pack for decades. Kept it as a souvenir of the 85 Blizzard (Not quite as long of a blizzard as 77 but still pretty crazy times.) Mayor of Buffalo is quoted on the box saying "grab a six pack go home and enjoy yourself". Different times back then.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 11:18:24 am »
White Falcon - That's a good amount for Texas.
Hawk Dancer - High winds and snow = trouble even for Folks use to snow
Bow Ed - Great Pictures
Take care Everybody.
brian

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 11:45:24 am »
Good thing normal people that have to make a living have their own independent mind to take care of themself instead of listening to and depending on mayors.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 01:57:17 am »
There have been some real tough blizzards over the years, as well as some snowy spells!  Most of us in the west would like to see some measureable snow - we need the moisture.  Maybe not 10'-12' but a good foot or so.  When I-80 closes, we got problems!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 04:39:00 am »
There have been some real tough blizzards over the years, as well as some snowy spells!  Most of us in the west would like to see some measureable snow - we need the moisture.  Maybe not 10'-12' but a good foot or so.  When I-80 closes, we got problems!
Hawkdancer
Yes your right Jerry.This year we'll have a snowless Christmas.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 05:29:44 am »
In the late 50's or early 60's we had a blizzrd with snow drifts to the eaves of the house and four or five feet of snow in the yards.
I had to work open a living room side window and dig a tunnel to the surface to have enough ventilation to fire up the old Warm Morning coal heater.
The front porch was packed solid so after getting the door open, luckily there was no storm door on it at the time, I dug a tunnel out far enough to reach open air and a trench to the road.
There were several factories nearby so the city had snow plows going all night to keep the main roads open.
Once I got to the road I dug away enough snow for dad to reach his car and clear away enough of the driveway to get on the road.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 06:40:31 am »
That would be 1 to remember too.
It's hard to imagine till you see it happen a number of times after the winter breaks and melts what the weight and pressure damage snow can do to things like bending steel,fence lines,buildings,and trees.
Farm equipment left parked in groves covered up with snow can show distorted frames bowed and bent once it melts.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:02:40 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 07:41:21 am »
WOW that's a lot of snow, we don't get anything like that here, maybe a bad one we might get a foot and that hasn't happened in several years, when I was a kid it always seemed to come a big snow between Christmas and New Years ,we would be out of school for an extra couple of weeks, don't happen much now, tomorrow is supposed to be 72 in the day time and low 60's at night, then by New years back to lows in the 20's weird weather for sure.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2021, 10:30:10 am »
 We are having a white Christmas this year. 6" last night and -19
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline gifford

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 05:42:10 pm »
About 5 or 6 years ago we had two 10 inch snowfalls, a week apart. Took a heap of shoveling, then the city would plow and we would have to dig out again.

The black powder club's old firing line collapsed under the weight of the snow. So we salvaged what we could and burned the rest. New firing line built to last this time, we hope.

One of my MoJAM friends from northern Nebraska remarked 'y'all got our snowfall that year'.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 03:31:05 pm »
Some of the Sierra Nevada has about 200 inches! Here in Yosemite we have about two feet and it is still snowing. You can pull up Yosemite Webcams if you want a look around.