Author Topic: balmy december  (Read 7332 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: balmy december
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 06:50:11 pm »
Yep...A lot of people get sick because of it too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 10:46:28 am »
Well so much for the balmy december.This is the second 8" snow we've had through the month of january.Pretty time of year.Got my 3/4 mile lane plowed good for the second time for visitors.As both Robin and me both drive 4 wheeled vehicles anyway.

Pin oaks still holding their leaves.

Deer are a lot more easily spotted now being bedded down and moving about.Deer season is over for me now anyway.Time for things to settle down around here.The owls/bobcats/and coyotes will get after the rabbits good now.Most everything else like the coon/opposum/and skunks will hole up off and on throughout the winter depending on the temps.Otters and mink will find their nitch by some pond or creek.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:10:46 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 11:33:25 am »
We finally got our winter with over 10" so far and 24 degrees now and not above 30 degrees today...

and of course the dogs love it...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 12:39:32 pm »
You better enjoy it while you can.It won't hang around long for you.Kind of a novelty or a partial visitation of winter for you guys.Won't hang around for much more than a week.I'm sure it's wet heavy snow you got because of the temps.
Many different types of snow.It all depends on how cold it is when it snows.Colder temps/dryer air/less moisture in snow but still piles up.Blows around easily to drift.One benefit of really cold weather is that it's too cold and dry for air to hold much moisture.Rarely does it snow when it's below 0 F.Winds can be mean then though.Humidities can go down to 30% inside in the winter.
Seen ice dry up on account of the cold winds many times.It saps the moisture from the air.
It's fun for some that don't have to deal with it very long,but there are ways of getting along with it longer term and taking advantage of it's presence.
Real winter is a different ball game here.Lived here my whole life.Most times when it comes in november it'll keep piling on the rest of the winter deeper and deeper.It's here till march.We've had well below 0 F. for good stretches of time here now.Ponds are well over a foot thick in ice.
Ice fishing is next on the list of game meat.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:37:29 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 01:37:03 pm »
It was -8 here this morning.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 01:40:28 pm »
This is all gulf moisture. We need moisture from the south and cold from the northwest before we get snow here. Snow very rarely comes over the mountains from the northwest. It's 26deg. now with a mix of sleet and snow. In a few hours it will be all snow til after midnight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 02:07:13 pm »
Snowing like crazy in N Alabama but it is still 34 degrees and nothing is sticking, it rained solid for the last 24 hours.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 02:33:00 pm »
Ya we got a couple inches of snow , but an inch of ice before the snow, not nearly what they were calling for,5-7 inches, about all the weather people around here are good for is telling you what happened afterwards. ??? :) :) I am pretty sure they got a deal with Kroger's and and all the local markets,and it works. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 05:00:44 am »
Yea weathermen or women can get it wrong sometimes.I realize Pat B from where the moisture for your snow is coming from.That's why it's so heavy and wet with your moderate temperatures.
Once it gets cold and long enough for the ground to freeze the snow will stick around longer.In these parts ground can and will freeze close to 4' deep.That's why water lines are set 6' deep.
A good thing in the end though.As it mellows out the ground when it thaws and dries for easier work with equipment and better mellow base for crops to grow in.It also helps the ground to better percolate during prolonged rainy spells.
Just like in a sense how certain hard shelled seeds need to be stratified before they can grow.
It's best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best in all things before winter comes.
6 cords for the house here that usually lasts me 2 winters.I stay a year ahead to be sure the wood is good and dry when used and in case I have an injury Robin would have wood to burn through that period.Osage,hickory,honey locust,and elm.I try to use mostly osage during the very cold spells.Not all that much here.I used to burn 7 cords a winter farther north but did'nt use as hard of wood then either.

People that really get dumped on is up at the great lakes.Call it lake affect snow but not so much the very cold dry harsh winds.
The dakotas out in the country farther north can get mean this time of year too with the cold/wind/and snow.
If you got kids yanking them around on a car hood with the tractor or nowadays the 4 wheeler is a blast for them.
When I was a kid I went to the towns very hilly golf course with my sled.Very steep long hills on that course.Bet there would be 50 to 60 kids there at times.The trails would turn into ice from being used so much.Lots of speed then.
Anyway the pond has plenty of water in it.Bluegills will be biting.Got some good 8 to 9 inch bluegills in there.
As Pappy says Life is good.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:02:51 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 08:40:15 am »
No more balmy here in Tennessee, more snow and freezing rain last night and is not supposed to be out of the low teens at night and 30's in the day time for at least a week or more, time for a big fire ans some shop work.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 03:02:02 pm »
I can remember traveling one morning from NW Iowa down to southern Missouri/Arkansas border in the evening back in the middle 90's to deliver a stud fee puppy in february once.Temperatures were -15 f. when I left and when I arrived at the Missouri/Arkansas border the spring peepers were chirping.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 02:49:15 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 05:45:12 pm »
At least in MN I think the BALM has now left the winter. High of -4 today.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 04:14:37 am »
Yes.It's a bit hard on the wild life but they have a way of surviving.The cold at least sets the wood ticks back a bit.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 04:31:37 pm »
-11 in Nw penna this morning, Bob