Author Topic: Bread pans  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Bread pans
« on: December 31, 2021, 03:19:58 pm »
Not a recipe, just some observations.  Maybe I'll do a stand alone post on how I grow up my ale yeast.

I've figured out why bread pans were an important invention thru my own experimental archeology.

Aside from uniform loaves...and regarding fluffy, higher gluten wheat bread.

Well, I've been baking alot with ale yeast (amazing flavor!!!), and unlike modern rapid rise, this is a 2 day process.

What I've noticed is when you scale your dough, shape it, and proof it...it can take sometimes 6 hours to proof and be oven ready.

If you form a French bread loaf, once the gluten relaxes it will ooze down in to this flattened mass over the hours it takes to proof.

Bread pans keep the shape as the proofing rise happens.

ETA:  spent a half hour trying to type up my method for starters snd bread from ale yeast snd thisnis a project for another day.  Not sure I can explain well enough with just words.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:58:36 pm by Mesophilic »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bread pans
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 06:49:37 pm »
Have you tried the new old yeast from Norway? Kveik is a game-changer in my brewing. I have had mid gravity beers finish in as little as 72 hours from pitching to floculation and settling out. And kveik yeasts can stand higher temps, so proofing won't kill the yeast.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 07:16:36 am »
I'll have to look in to that yeast.

I quit homebrewing when I stopped drinking...so I've been out of the loop on new yeast strains.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Flyonline

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 08:32:29 pm »
I'm in the same boat, though I have been rising in the dutch oven to get a good crust on my sourdough. I recently found this video on getting a free-standing sourdough and plan on trying it next bake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHL44ONu3so

Ale breads are good, though I've only started with a bottle fermented beer rather than using just the yeast. Interesting aside, I work in a winery that has a kitchen with a wood fired pizza oven and the chefs have always struggled to get a good rise using wine yeast so I'm assuming that there is some selection in the ale yeasts that are happy to work with the starches in the flour because they are similar to malt in beer.