Author Topic: 2nd doe down  (Read 6207 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
2nd doe down
« on: October 30, 2021, 10:02:56 pm »
It was active late into the evening here.The huge rainy weather system has moved on now.We got close to 6" of rain the last 3 days.The long shadows disappeared and the witching hour commenced.Seen maybe 8 doe's tonight total.This one came by so quick evading the commotion going on it got close to right underneath me.A nice big buck was with them pushing them around about 40 to 50 yards away.There was just enough light to pick a spot and shoot.
Got into a stand where the wind was perfect on this shot.Did'nt get busted by any of the other deer initially,but they sure left when I shot this doe.
2 arrows loosed and 2 deer.1 more to go.
Shot a little high [probably 3" off] and spined her so no blood trail on this one either.This can happen shooting so close.Could definitely hear the arrow smack into her making contact and the sound of her thumping onto the ground too.She dropped on the spot.Had to get down later and do the dasterdly deed.It's happened to me before.
Some more good meat/hide and sinew.I'll make the best of it.
Same bow and another 600+ grained dogwood.Got to save this arrow this time.Not that it's a big deal anyway.Plenty of different ways an arrow is saved besides a pass through but while hunting it's not a priority.A pass through the vitals is.It leads for an easier blood trail to follow.
1 more tag to fill with the bow.It's an any sex tag.Weather is holding up fine yet except for the wind.Just need to dress accordingly.The corn is still in the field here and a lot of good sign along it.Although it'll be a while till they get this corn out after all of this rain recently.At least a week.
3 turkeys cruised by too.All 3 were hens.I still have my turkey tag.
Post script....This deer produced 55 pounds of deer meat.Bringing total to 115 pounds so far.

A picture from the deers' view where she was standing when shot.12 to 13 foot high.Leaves are gone now.It was a bit more camoflauged earlier.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:08:08 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 2nd doe down
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 01:18:23 pm »
Congrats Ed, nice job . 😉 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 05:41:45 pm »
Congrats, filling tags and the freezer
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 09:38:00 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Good luck with the rest of your season too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 06:14:16 pm »
Congrats Ed. Another good eating doe. I really like the profile of your bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 08:44:32 pm »
Congrats, sir!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 09:05:29 am »
Thanks fellas.
It's a bow I made last spring along with a couple others [black locust & hickory].It's osage.Using it throughout this season.
Got a good in depth look less than 10' away at a barred owl landing and sitting a while yesterday.Also got a little regret lately too.I had a slam dunk just right shot with plenty of time at what I thought was a 3.5 year 8 point yesterday less than 10 yards away.He never knew I was there as I left him go on.I passed on him because another larger 8 point was following him up just getting right when he got a whiff of me.It was dead still out.I know where he lives.We'll see if I see him again.That's hunting.
That's 5 nice bucks I've seen here this year.First 1 I had a decent shot at.Could be 1 that I've seen twice though.The larger 8 point yesterday was the newest/latest & biggest I've seen so far this year.Probably at least 125 pounds of meat on that old boy.Really nice looking animal.Wide/tall/thick/built like a box car and impressive.At least a 5.5 year old.Does'nt take long to get to 200 pounds with deer like that.
I don't carry gadgets with me like phones and cameras when hunting but I'm sure any deer hunter would of liked to get a shot at him.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 06:38:28 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 12:32:50 am »
Congrats, Ed.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 06:41:48 am »
Thanks Pat....It's one for us old guys....ha ha.
Heard a bob cat yowling/growling to the point of screaming behind me a good 50 yards or so yesterday,but never saw him.Something was bothering him or her.I let a forked buck go by too.They are'nt much bigger than the does here.Another was coming in a little bigger but the light was too dark by then.Seeing coon ramble through fairly regularly.
Wind stays at 15 to 20 mph at shooting times lately which makes it a bit sketchy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:59:42 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »
Congratulations...good luck chasing the big boy.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 07:40:51 am »
Thanks....It's usually not a priority with me.Meat is and filling the freezer is.It's just that those big bucks carry the most amount of meat.What their carrying on their head is a bonus and memories.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 06:41:18 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed