Author Topic: New Poplar arrows ( glue set up problems)  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Nasr

New Poplar arrows ( glue set up problems)
« on: January 07, 2022, 04:28:53 pm »
Made some new poplar arrow with purple and black fletching. Not very primitive but pleased with them. I am new to arrow making and have some experience but not much. I was hoping for some advice on glue as the bohning fletch tite i am using seems to not set up quick enough. It says clamp time is 5 minutes but it will not set at that time and i end up getting some slipping like in the picture below. so I just end up leaving them clamped for 30 minutes instead. 

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: New Poplar arrows ( glue set up problems)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 06:21:01 pm »
I don't know much about fletchtite, as I usually use fletch tape and reinforce the front and back with superglue, so take this for what it's worth.  Usually when I have a glue taking way longer to set up then it should, it's because I'm using too much glue.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 07:00:15 pm »
I don't know much about fletchtite, as I usually use fletch tape and reinforce the front and back with superglue, so take this for what it's worth.  Usually when I have a glue taking way longer to set up then it should, it's because I'm using too much glue.

thanks ill try to lower the amount of glue i am using. What brand fletch tape are you using? I want to give it a try.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 01:35:08 am »
What’s the coating of the shafts? Some oil, like TruOil? On bare wood 5 min is OK but oily or non-porous surface coatings naturally curved feathers need more time to stay straight. Normally I glue my feathers on bare or stained (ethanol based stain) wood and seal the surface after with TruOil. Takes a bit more time with small brush but the feathers will sit tight.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 02:35:04 am »
I finish them with lacquer

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 01:31:04 pm »

thanks ill try to lower the amount of glue i am using. What brand fletch tape are you using? I want to give it a try.
I use Bohning fletching tape.  I do want to get to attaching feathers with primitive materials eventually, but one thing at a time.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 02:27:10 pm »
I also use fletch tape but also wrap the forward and rear of the fletching. I always wrap the forward end of fletching mainly to protect my hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 05:51:15 pm »
I also use fletch tape but also wrap the forward and rear of the fletching. I always wrap the forward end of fletching mainly to protect my hand.
Yep, same here.  I wrap mine with silk thread, then put a dot of superglue on each feather for good measure.  I wouldn't trust it by itself.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 12:47:22 am »
I use a thick superglue called “DAP RapidFuse”. The stuff is bulletproof, inexpensive, sticks to oil finishes, and sets up in about 15 seconds. Been using it for years and have never lost a fletch, even after days of poor weather. I’ve used Gorilla impact resistant CA glue with good results as well. Nobody got time for 30 minutes per fletch. There are far better glues out there and they’re available at your local hardware store.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 03:54:24 pm »
Use Duco on wood arrows, cheap, works well, I give it 20 minutes to set up although it probably takes less. It is good for gluing your nocks on as well.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 04:42:31 pm »
I used to always use Duco until I couldn't find it any more.  >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC