Author Topic: 1 more with the .54  (Read 11325 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
1 more with the .54
« on: January 10, 2022, 03:07:25 pm »
I had an antlerless tag to fill here yet in the late muzzle loader season.[Dec. 20th to Jan.10th]Winter had finally arrived with colder temps [low teens to below 0 F.] and around 10" of snow.Managed to get out quite a few times when it was'nt too windy.
Showed my Johnny Brown Hawken I used earlier,but will show it later again on this post with a link.
The bucks were still chasing yearlings around occasionally.I passed on a number of bucks and yearlings.The yearlings were pretty good sized already though with another 2 months of growth put on them.They'll have smaller heads than the older does.They all looked in fine shape.
Finally a good sized older doe gave me a shot late in the day.I was confident of the shot.Watched her run maybe 30 yards and stop while the others completely cleared out of the area.Stood there quite a few minutes and could see she was hurt bad by her body language.Could see also a lot of blood showing underneath her on the snow.She gingerly walked 50 more yards and laid down.I could see blood coming out of her mouth as she walked and knew the lungs were hit good.I continued to sit tight and watch.In a few minutes she got up and gingerly walked another 30 to 40 yards and laid down again.By now she was a good 80 yards from my stand and I decided to climb down quietly.Go to the house/clean the gun/warm up and go out later to find her.
Not so.These deer that just lay themselves down instead of crashing down uncontrollably tend to not die as quickly.A good blood trail was left from where she had been laying as she had gotten up again and walked quite a ways farther maybe 80 yards stopping along the way over a little crest of a hill  moving into the bottom towards the wash.I stopped at the crest of that hill and saw her and a small group of deer with her in that bottom.The deer with her seen me and high tailed it on out of there leaving her stand by herself.
I decided to walk on out of there as it was beginning to get dark and return the next morning to follow the rest of the trail.Robin got hepped up and wanted to help too.We trailed another 80 yards or so across the wash and found her.I found her and it pissed Robin off.We can get competitive about such things.Shed hunting too.Glad she was there to help yank this doe out though.
We drug this doe out with a gadget I made years ago just for dragging does out.Makes pulling these deer out with no horns a lot easier.A foot long hedge stick with two 1/2" holes drilled through it/Eight foot of 1/2" rope/and a 3/8" slat of wood with two 1/2" holes drilled into it for a binding slider.Simply put the loop created and put it around the deers' head and slide the slider up tight, It won't move.

Big doe like I thought.Around 160 pounds.

Well that's the end of my deer season.4 deer and well over 250 pounds of deer meat.Where's the expensive beef?....In the grocery store.....ha ha.That oughta last us a while.I'm going to bring 15 to 20 pounds of summer sausage to an older couple in town.Nice people.We have a lot in common.
It was a good shot like I thought.Took the lungs out.You can see the exit hole behind her right elbow.Clicking on the picture will enlarge the picture.At least it does on my computer.
You can see compared to the buck I shot exit hole with a broadhead well over an inch wide and this doe with a round ball 1/2" wide hole blood does not exit near as freely all because the hole is so much smaller.The damage a broadhead does to the vitals is a lot more also.
Blood trailing muzzle loader shot deer at times can be more difficult than broadhead shot deer.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:30:09 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JB G

Re: 1 more with the .54
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:31:43 pm »
Look out Ed. They moved HH’s thread because rules say “ has to be Primitve Achery” rule #3 here within this hunting thread, no warnings, even got an email to correct it. I did and after PatB still moved the thread.

You may not like it  (as i was told in pm) but They may move your entire thread to ML thread or Around the Campfire.

Big Ol Girl. I like size of those hams.

JB G
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:20:22 pm by JB G »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 06:09:13 pm »
Yep! your right, Shawn.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JB G

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:18:34 pm »
I am not Shawn, bud.

LB G

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 06:21:13 pm »
Mullet you better go back and move other muzzle loader shot deer posted in the shooting and hunting threads back in 2017 and 2018 then.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:28:17 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JB G

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 06:39:00 pm »
Patb couldnt resist messing with Shawn. He always checks his thread every-other day Ed. He did not have the gumption to moves yours and called in the Mullet.

Coulda just have left well enough alone. every rule in every section is almost same!! rule # 3! Must have something to do Primitive Archery. So, you could move things in threads going backs years that are about Steel, building anything but arrows, shafts, feathers, points, bows or strings.

Checks that rule Ed.

Jb G

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 07:03:18 pm »
Fine but way back then there was no muzzle loader thread.There was in 2017 and 2018.In fact back to Dec. of 2016.Incompetency with a capital I.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:28:58 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JB G

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 07:24:40 pm »
The Mods have a bunch of work to do to be fair and equitable now i would say. Lot of threads all over that prolly must go in Campfire or get removed.

I got a message to fix the thread for Shawn , i did and Patb went and moved it the entire thing. Maybe What Shawn warned me about is right on target?

Jb G

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 07:31:19 pm »
It's bias & opinionated and not ruled on the same playing field in my case.
If they don't respond I'll delete everything that I contributed to this site....period.I'll give them 3 days to get this right.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:36:23 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JB G

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 07:41:16 pm »
That sux Mr EdYou should contact Patb or other Mods. If Pappy goes your route there wont be anything left here to see.

Send me you contact info in a pm Ed!

JbG

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 08:00:02 pm »
Clickiest incompetent members of these so called moderators I've ever seen.My personal message box for advice is at least 6 pages worth with no repeats.Dozens and dozens of different members.Like I said 3 days with an apology.
I'll get you my email bud.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 08:21:06 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 09:46:25 pm »
Tell you what, Ed, Sorry no apology from me, instead I'll go back through every thread and remove all of the kills from muzzle loaders.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 10:37:34 pm »
Tell you what Mullet.....It's good you realized you acted before you thought things through now.An admission of your incompetence and bias.Sorry for not apologizing???How ignorant is that?Whether your big enough to apologize or not or even have the capacity to know leaves room for you to grow as a person yet.
Don't overwork yourself now.All you have to do is move 3 threads.2 in 2017 and 1 in 2018.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:51:20 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JB G

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 10:43:37 pm »
Plenty of non-rule #3 in all sections. Gonna be busy Mullet! Be easier rewrite rules or  start over with clear concise specific rules for each sub section. Just a thought as your cleaning up Patb mess.

JbG

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 12:49:32 am »
Mullet..... I'll give you a job since it's your responsibility for this.I've been told to speak to a supposed moderator to get this done.I want you to delete everything that I've contributed on this site.On all the threads.Every last one.That will take you a while,and don't worry I'll point out ones you missed or you might have a way of deleting in a more broad spectrum way of someones' account.Either way I've had enough of this hypocritical circus.
BowEd
Ed