Author Topic: Rabbit hunting  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Fox

Rabbit hunting
« on: January 30, 2022, 01:00:38 pm »
I was out hunting in a new place and I saw fresh rabbit tracks all in the snow! I’ve never seen a rabbit in the woods here but this is a new area… so how do I hunt rabbits? Sit and wait? Try to spook them? There were like 5 different rabbit tracks crossing a old road.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Rabbit hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 08:28:37 pm »
Track them to their hide in kick um up, they usually won’t go far before they stop . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 02:46:45 am »
Sounds like fun! Thanks pappy

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 08:57:38 am »
I did  a lot of rabbit hunting with a friend who had  dogs years ago, this guy had an uncanny ability to spot one in its bed, I never was too good at this. If you could develop this ability and hunt slowly you could get much more shot opportunities.

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 03:01:33 pm »
Good to know :)

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 09:25:33 am »
I did  a lot of rabbit hunting with a friend who had  dogs years ago, this guy had an uncanny ability to spot one in its bed, I never was too good at this. If you could develop this ability and hunt slowly you could get much more shot opportunities.
The easiest way I have found is to go after a fresh snow. In the late afternoon, walk very slowly, just a couple steps at a time. Look in deep cover for "rocks" that don't have snow on top. Those will be the rabbits. They like to lay down pretty flat when they are hiding from you.

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 03:03:55 pm »
I went out yesterday and tracked rabbit tracks all up and down the mountain (sometimes just sliding down on my butt! Snowy and icy up there!!) but didn’t see a single rabbit  :( I tracked several sets of tracks back to a den but no rabbits In there, very confusing cause didn’t see any tracks leading back out…

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 07:50:52 am »
I don't know where you are, Fox, but in my area (Northern Michigan), the rabbits don't run out of their dens when you try to kick them up. They stay put and wait until you leave. If they're out and about, munching on twigs and saplings, they'll jump out ahead of you, but if they're hunkered down in their den, they're not going to move. Actually, sending my cat into the den to explore has been the only way I've had success rousting them out.

There being snow on the ground, I doubt you're able to get close enough to their main feeding/sleeping area without them hearing you first. Those big ears aren't just for decoration. If you've been getting to know some rabbits in a new area, it might be useful to sneak in during the early morning or mid-afternoon, find a spot out of sight and down wind of their burrow and wait with an arrow knocked on your bow. You'll eventually see one, but the cottontail rabbit is a crafty animal. They don't just walk into the point of your broadhead like people think they do. You have to use all of your hunters wits while pursuing them, and if you do happen upon one, you've got to make a great shot.
Bellaire, MI

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 01:51:10 am »
Thanks for the great reply! I am in western VA. Definitely going to give your suggestions a try. Thanks again