Author Topic: A trophy photo of sorts  (Read 3119 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
A trophy photo of sorts
« on: September 04, 2022, 04:26:37 pm »
Here's the only thing that was killed on this morning's elk hunt.  Easy to sneak up on, but not much good eating.

I made this shot at 30 yards.  I can only practice instinctive shooting out to 20, but I figured out that my bow is point on at 30 yards.  So that expands my range a bit.

Elk hunting in a boot cast is not for the faint of heart.  (I've been in a cast for over a month for tendonitis of the foot, or something like that)

I did call in a bull today, which was exciting. I heard a bugle a ways off, and responded with "Hey, big boy, looking for some company?" or squeaks to that effect. About 20 minutes later I smelled elk and heard a couple branches breaking. By then it was getting hot and the wind was swirly, and I think he caught my scent. Never saw him but it's good to know he was there. My buddy, the member of our party who can walk like a normal person, get into a couple of them too, and found lots of fresh beds and other sign. They're in here! We just need to weather to cool down enough that they'll quit being nocturnal. Our local elk really don't like hot weather.

One cool thing about sitting tight instead of covering country is the bird watching. Today I enjoyed the company of some Clark's Nutcrackers (really obnoxious but amusing birds), red-breasted nuthatches, some sort of yellow flycatcher, and mountain chickadees, which are among my favorite birds. They are fun to hang out with--tiny, fearless, ready-for-anything attitude. And their little CHEESE-burger call is adorable.

I'm bummed about not being able to cover country and explore, but sure am thankful that I'm able to get out at all.  Just a warning:  If I kill an elk while wearing a foot cast, I plan on bragging.  Quite a lot.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 04:30:06 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: A trophy photo of sorts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 04:31:17 pm »
Sorry the picture is so huge.  I still can't post to this forum from my own laptop because the security stuff still hasn't been updated...and I can't fiddle around long enough to get it to work on this computer.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 06:33:26 pm »
Looks like you double lunged him.
Never been elk hunting but always used to dream about it.
Good luck and I’d brag a lot walking boot or not.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 07:53:45 pm »
nice shooting

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 07:41:19 pm »
Huh, and just the other day someone was telling me you couldn't hit sh--!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 08:40:13 pm »
Nice, so your point on is 30 yds, mines around 26. What weight arrow you shoot, what’s draw weight on bow?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 03:20:12 pm »
Huh, and just the other day someone was telling me you couldn't hit sh--!

Ha ha ha  My brother said "That's what you get for shooting the sh** with your buddies instead of hunting elk!"

Nice, so your point on is 30 yds, mines around 26. What weight arrow you shoot, what’s draw weight on bow?

I believe these arrows are around 650+- grains (can't remember exactly; I switched to doug fir shafts last summer).  Bow pulls 57# at 27".  Maybe a little less now that it's broken in.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 07:26:15 pm »
Couldn't pull up the picture, but any kill is better than none!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry