Main Discussion Area > English Warbow

Delamination of horn overlays.

<< < (2/2)

RickyScull:
Bownarra ok. I thought they should work but the epoxy kept breaking loose. The surfaces are flat and mate up well. I used acetone on the ipe hoping that would help the bond.

bownarra:
Never try to degrease wood...you only end up pulling more oils to the surface. Any good epoxy won't be troubled by oily wood. Same with superglue. I've glued directly to ipe, no degreasing, more times than I care to remember - save the acetone for something else!

JNystrom:
I see you haven't used hideglue for gluing oily ipe... Oven cleaner allows you to actually shoot the bow and not gather splinters from your surroundings. I can't see a reason why risk with epoxies either? Delaminations happen all the time even with the best modern glues. Acetone doesn't work but oven cleaner foam does.

I also had some problems with maple 135# maple longbow and horn overlays. The wood is so soft that it somehow deforms under the horn??? Anyways, as shown with Del's good images, the english horn tip was developed into really dummy proof solution.
I have a 140# osage bow with selfnocks, just a simple sidenock. Works fine when the wood is hard. Bamboo-ipe would work fine also with selfnocks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version