Author Topic: Quartz from North Carolina  (Read 2290 times)

Offline vernonhess999@aol.com

Quartz from North Carolina
« on: January 13, 2022, 07:38:09 am »
Has anyone worked Quartz fromNC Area?  I have found a few low quality artifacts from glassy textured  Quartz.  Some was almost clear and some the color of milk.  My few knapping attempts with Quartz did not work.

Offline vernonhess999@aol.com

Re: Quartz from North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:39:48 am »
This is probably not the right place for introduction — but hey from a new knapper in NC.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 10:41:09 am »
Hello,

Don’t really see that quartzite worked too much.  I’ve held a few artifacts, imagine it would be difficult to work with it being more grainy?

Welcome to PA. 
1’—>1’

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 10:41:37 am »
vernonhess 999, I don't have much experience with quartz but have sat in a few knappins and watched some excellent quartz knappers, It seemed to me most used wood billets on alot of the I shall call manrocks  :-K ( quartz, rhyolite, archlite, esphous) Tuff material to begin with, Kinda a different type of knapping and quite challenging, Just my .02 worth. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 11:46:29 am »
Vern. First off welcome and any contributions to this site are welcome.

I don’t have much experience with quartz . Not sure if I even ever successfully finished a point. Enough to know how much respect I have for anyone who does.

The little I dabbled. It worked better than other grainy chert I tried. I’m in a poor location for picking up rock. And being a farmer for almost my entire life it was really hard to make myself pay money for rocks. And then have to admit it to people that asked where I got it.lol

I went through a pretty long stretch where I just picked up promising Looking rocks and gave them a good wack with a hammer stone rock.

Like that outback. Man Rocks is a good definition.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 01:44:16 pm »
Yep Bj, I'm way to old for the Manrock. My elbows hurt just lookin at some of the stuff guys will beat on and make nice points. Bob :KN

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 04:18:35 pm »
most quartz is littered with internal fractures making it a very unpredictable rock .. it does however tend to flake rather well on premium pieces. the best stuff is the really transparent clear or heavy milky white .. quartz is also as hard if not harder than flint and can be used to start fires with steel and spark.. I looked on neolithics site for quartz once and the price was outrageous.. I got lots of quartz here in Ga.. and have found some really good stuff to make heads out of.. its about all you find here and the Indians made some incredible points with it.. tribe knapper used to knap where I park my truck. I have found over 60 arrowheads and knife tips right there.. one knife point is so perfect you would think it was ground to its shape.. it is incredible.. gut

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 06:46:23 pm »
most quartz is littered with internal fractures making it a very unpredictable rock .. it does however tend to flake rather well on premium pieces. the best stuff is the really transparent clear or heavy milky white .. quartz is also as hard if not harder than flint and can be used to start fires with steel and spark.. I looked on neolithics site for quartz once and the price was outrageous.. I got lots of quartz here in Ga.. and have found some really good stuff to make heads out of.. its about all you find here and the Indians made some incredible points with it.. tribe knapper used to knap where I park my truck. I have found over 60 arrowheads and knife tips right there.. one knife point is so perfect you would think it was ground to its shape.. it is incredible.. gut

Ok, you got to post pictures of that, and maybe tell where you park your truck ;)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 10:12:50 pm »
Steve Parker has some real nice yellow Quartz in a creek behind his house I'd love to get some more of. I made some real nice hunting points about ten years ago from it. Pressure flaked real good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 10:58:16 am »
posting pics here for me is impossible it seems.. always too big from my phone.. won't allow.. to resize or post from another platform is just too much trouble.. not joining another app just to post pics here.. not sure why the administration won't fix it.. I know I am not the only one fed up with it.. gut

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 02:14:31 pm »
Thats why I post most of my pictures on other sites.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 12:53:51 pm »
posting pics here for me is impossible it seems.. always too big from my phone.. won't allow.. to resize or post from another platform is just too much trouble.. not joining another app just to post pics here.. not sure why the administration won't fix it.. I know I am not the only one fed up with it.. gut

It's all about bandwidth..or lack of
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com