Author Topic: Sap content in stave harvesting  (Read 901 times)

Offline sleek

Sap content in stave harvesting
« on: January 15, 2022, 11:29:47 pm »
Id like to know what time of year is the sap the highest in a tree, and what do people want, high or low sap in a stave and why exactly?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

bownarra

Re: Sap content in stave harvesting
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 02:00:46 am »
I prefer to harvest my staves in the autumn. you get an nice late wood ring for the back then and the moisture content is lower.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 04:01:16 am »
I prefer autumn /winter for cutting bow wood. Safer to dry without degrade or insects, because its colder, and the sap is down.
You also won't have any risk of developing bluestain in the sapwood.

Yes it is harder to remove bark, than in summer, but still possible if you do it soon after cutting. I generally use a blunt tipped screwdriver the lift the bark, and lever it off.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 09:35:21 am »
Where I live (N/W Alabama) it doesn't matter, you can cut osage in the dead of the winter and the latex like sap will run out of the cut just like in the summer.

For white woods cutting in the spring is preferable so the bark will slip off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 10:23:13 am »
Whenever it's available is the best time to cut bow wood. Like Eric said, whitewood is easier to work and you'll get a more pristine back by cutting during the growing season and peel the bark off and seal the back well. With woods like osage, locust, mulberry where you usually use only the heartwood cut anytime. You usually remove the sapwood to achieve a pristine back so if you stop removing wood a ring or 2 above the heartwood ring you chose for the back and seal the back ring well for seasoning. If you are going to use the top most heartwood ring remove all the sapwood then seal the hardwood back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 03:11:47 pm »
Late Winter when the brambles (briars?) are down and its easier to get to the tree.