Author Topic: help needed with third bow - osage with unequal reflex  (Read 910 times)

Offline rcoen2

help needed with third bow - osage with unequal reflex
« on: January 21, 2022, 06:23:51 pm »
Hi all.

I'm working on my third bow, attempting to make my first D bow following the guidance at the end of TBBv4.  I've been feeling pretty good about my progress with this one until I finished floor tiller, and then I realized that one of the limbs is quite a bit more reflexed than the other.  Now honestly, I'm far from confident with tillering still, and tillering uneven limbs seems a bit over my head.  I'm still not even clear how to wrap my head around tillering uneven limbs, because it seems at that point you aren't getting them to match up symmetrically, but you are having to compensate for the unequal bend (so the tiller profile, if perfect, would look off??).  Is that right?  So my question is, for an amateur bow maker what's my best way to proceed?  Do I make a form to bend the wood to, to try and even out the limbs? 

If so how's the best way to go about making a form like that.  I'm unclear how I would create the right arc lines in the form...

IMG_4380 by Ryder Coen, on Flickr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: help needed with third bow - osage with unequal reflex
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 07:57:13 pm »
You could add some more reflex to the one on the right. If you decide to proceed as is remember that both limbs need to remove an equal amount. There is a tendency to have the one that is more reflexed move more. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 08:33:48 pm »
Is it a difference in reflex or is the handle set on the tiller so it sits unevenly? If its the latter using a single balance point should help show up the truth

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 11:18:36 am »
The easiest way to proceed? Heat it up and clamp it to a flat form so there’s no reflex at all.  )P(

Edit : all I use for a flattening form is the narrow side of a 2x4 and some C-clamps.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:21:37 am by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 11:48:54 am »
I would get both limbs even especially considering it's only your third bow. You are correct that uneven limbs are harder to tiller. Organic Archer's suggestion of flattening both limbs is probably the easiest way to go especially because you don't have a reflex form. Just make yourself a well tillered bow and move on to reflex and such later in your progression as a bowyer. Good luck and ask for help tillering if needed.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges