Author Topic: Rabbit stick  (Read 1833 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Rabbit stick
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 12:18:48 pm »
In my understanding to assign the foil profile you have first to decide if it will be used right or left handed
this will determine if the stick will fly anticlockwise or clockwise.
lets assume we will throw right hand so the rotation will be counterclockwise
the half of the stick more distant from your hand will have the leading edge (thicker part of the airfoil) facing the direction of your distant target while the first half of the stick (closer to our hand) will have the leading edge facing the opposite direction
My guess is that you can use many different foil profiles. even almost elliptical
The ultimate goal is to have the foil profile providing a little lift, balanced enough to maintain the rotation plane horizontal
to fine tuning it i've seen a video where they reduced little by little the profile at tips
My guess is that a pronounced profile at tips that spin really fast can flip the stick
My test had mixed result. I still have to crack the code
Heavier, wider, costant central curve seems easier to tune

@Aaron
very nice sticks !!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:22:20 pm by GlisGlis »

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 09:33:57 pm »
Thanks glisglis.

And yes glisglis is correct.  The thicker part is the leading edge, just like a plane wing.  And the other leg of it is the opposite way, basically just like a bent propeller.

And yep, the airfoil can vary.  On the pvc ones I couldn't get the wing profile, so they just have a slight radius on the top and I added twist to them in opposite directions, not much, but just enough to give a little lift.

When I'm working on one I just end up throwing it a bunch, see how it's flying, scrape a little here or there to get the profile a bit different, throw again...  over and over until it almost hovers off the ground as it goes.

As for throwing, yep thats how I hold it, but they are thrown horizontal to the ground if you want them to go straight.  You can also throw at slight angles from horizontal and get a little bend to the flight, or even an s shaped trajectory, but that's more for fun than it is useful as a hunting tool :)

Here's my rough diagram.  I hold this one where the arrow is, rotation direction shown, and the lines are the thick parts of the airfoil.

Hope this helps, they are quite rewarding when you get them to fly correctly.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 10:42:54 am »
Got it! thanks a bunch.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 12:19:29 pm »
I’m really interested in this. I’m definitely going to make one. Probably several

This just really fits me well. I pilot in me loves it and so does the primitive and wood working side.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 10:09:15 am »
have a read here
https://    primitivelifeways.com/2020/03/making-a-rabbitstick/
quite detailed description on stick making and tuning

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 11:10:30 am »
Another very interesting read on california / great basin rabbit sticks

A Game String and Rabbit Stick Cache from Borrego Valley, San Diego County

In the meantime strong winds are knocking down trees around here
I've already seen so many nice curved branches and roots  ;D

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2024, 10:36:40 am »
I had to try this crappy branch as it fell on a coworker car.
The curve was cool. It seemed a sign from the sky

Still tuning it. Actual weighs 380 gr (13.4 oz)
bottom is not fully flat. It's slightly twisted to give more angle ( maybe too much) to the profiles
With a full arm throw it flies very straight for about 40 -45 yards and with the rotation always in the horizontal plane
the problem is that it quickly rises and slow down even with a slightly downward throw. it keep rising faster untill it stall and drop almost vertically
foil profile is thick along all length. I'll probably have to reduce the height and even flatten the bottom more

Oh and I see why Hopi sticks have that handle. After a couple dozen of throws you feel the need of a better grip
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 10:40:03 am by GlisGlis »

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2024, 10:56:35 pm »
I made one many years ago from a pattern in W. Ben Hunts guide to Indian Craft and Lore that was inspired by Hopi tradition. looked like a short hockey stick.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2024, 10:41:01 am »
You can also add weight (not completely primitive) to the ends to change flight characteristics.  I've used lead buckshot that I smashed flat with a hammer, then tape in various places, or add more on.  Then when it's flying right you can inset them and glue in permanently.  I've always added to the bottom of the outside ends.  The shorter wood one in my first pick has 2 glued on the shorter limb to prevent rising too soon.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2024, 04:26:25 am »
Thanks Aaron
I'd like to use this one to get better at tuning sticks so I probably will keep making adjustments until it works well or it is complete ruined
I will use the weights tip later if traditional tuning fails.
too much rain these days. tests suspended.  (R

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2024, 08:10:14 am »
Good luck with it, it's looking good so far.  I need to find myself another crooked limb, all this talk has me wanting to make another too!   :)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2024, 02:35:12 pm »
thanks Aaron
I strongly suggest you to check THIS PAGE and make sure to press the "view all 166 figures & tables" button to see all pictures.

there are sticks that are works of art!
note how many do have grooves!  I need to make grooves in mines too  (lol)
I also suspect that many of them do not have a proper foil profile. just a thin slab with almost flat top and bottom

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2024, 10:40:07 am »
Cool stuff on there!  Thanks for sharing.  One of the s shaped ones would be really cool.  Always amazes me when you see things like this where multiple cultures around the world develop such similar technology independently.  I guess great minds really do think alike.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2024, 10:56:11 am »
Cool stuff on there!  Thanks for sharing.  One of the s shaped ones would be really cool.  Always amazes me when you see things like this where multiple cultures around the world develop such similar technology independently.  I guess great minds really do think alike.

+1
that's why the grooves thing puzzles me
it's present in different cultures around the world
it must have a specific function!