Main Discussion Area > Around the Campfire

Life on the Farm

(1/227) > >>

bjrogg:
   I always felt a bit in the wrong place in the victory garden threads.

I’m not so sure this is a good idea with the age we live in, but I decided to start a new thread. I would love to have others share their farms to.

I enjoy others farming operations to and different crops.

Also gardens certainly welcome.

You might think it’s single digits cold out and really nothing for a farmer to do. It’s never been that way on our farm. We always had milk cows or beef cattle.

Anyone who has cattle knows they take care and a lot of work. That work is multiplied in with the winter weather.

We also have a lot of equipment to maintain and sometimes completely modify.

We changed sprayers and went from 120’ wide to 135’. We want to control our traffic pattern and drive on the same tracks as we plant. It keeps compaction in same tracks, run over less crop and carries better when it gets muddy.

We need to add two rows to our 16 row planter making it a 18 row 30” spacing.  45’ wide. The sprayer can then drive on same tracks as planter.

The old mechanical drives it would have been simple.

We took off markers ( they physically made a mark in the dirt up center of next pass) as with GPS we very rarely use them. We made two frame extensions. One for each side and bolted them where the markers had been.

The mechanics are going pretty quick. But there’s a lot of plumbing and wiring.  This is still going to take awhile.

Bjrogg

bjrogg:
Put in a little overtime and made this to.

Bjrogg

White Falcon:
Very nice.

bjrogg:
Thanks White Falcon.

I also smoked 9 sticks of summer sausage. Got another batch to smoke yet but not sure I’ll do it tomorrow or Monday. It works pretty good doing the smoking while I work at the shop.

Bjrogg

Trapper Rob:
BJ I know what you mean by cattle I've carried lots of hot water over the years to thaw out water fountains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version