Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 119012 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #1110 on: March 22, 2024, 08:42:00 am »
Nice arrows, reminds me of the 60's  ;) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1111 on: March 22, 2024, 12:41:08 pm »
Thanks Bob and Pappy,

As Bob Ross said just a happy little accident. I kinda stumbled upon this technique when I accidentally put a big blob of paint on my shaft and then I took the edge of a razor blade to remove part of it.

And that’s how my happy little accident added a little color and lava lamp like shapes to my happy little world. Funny part is now the hardest part is making the right accidental blob.

Definitely was a different time Pappy

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 12:51:16 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1112 on: March 31, 2024, 09:55:04 am »
We think we have everything ready to plant now. Just waiting on the weather now which could be a bit.

I use to feel a little guilty about working on my bows and arrows when I “should” be working.

I realized that I’m getting to the age that many people spend their winters in Florida.

I don’t feel guilty about spending time with my hobbies anymore. Especially when I’m waiting for the weather to cooperate.

If you go to leatherwall or have gone to my thread in the bow section you can see I’ve been spending some quality time with this piece of knarly Osage.

If you haven’t seen this thread I think you might want to check it out.

Look for thread titled “Starting Small”. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Here’s the piece of Osage

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1113 on: March 31, 2024, 10:00:19 am »
I’ve been working on some arrows to.

When I started making arrows I used this combination of colors for my markings, but I wasn’t a very good shot and I realized that they were very hard to find .

Hopefully I don’t lose them now. Still not sure if I’m going to switch, but I made a half dozen like this

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1114 on: March 31, 2024, 10:08:40 am »
Holy Week has kept me busy too.

When I got home from Good Friday Mass, I found out our neighbors barn was on fire. My brother and nephew were already there with our escavator and loader. Along with a lot of neighbors and firefighters.

It honestly looked like I would just be in the way. I just watched and hoped no one was hurt and that the fire was kept from spreading to other buildings.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 10:17:07 am by bjrogg »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1115 on: March 31, 2024, 10:16:18 am »
No one was seriously injured. A few burns from trying to get the cattle out.

One would think that the cattle would want to run out of the barn, but that is seldom the case.

The cattle feel safe in their home. They don’t want to leave it. It is very hard to watch.

Many of the cattle did eventually get out but for many it was too late.

The last I heard they lost about 60 head. Many that had to be put down. Probably will be more yet.

Believe me. This is very hard.

I am so glad no one was seriously injured.

Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1116 on: March 31, 2024, 01:44:36 pm »
Fire has to be one of the scariest situations around. So glad no one was seriously hurt but it is a shame about the cows.
 Any idea how the fire got started?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1117 on: March 31, 2024, 06:20:48 pm »
Yes it is a living breathing consuming thing. The barn was the original home farm barn. Probably built after the great fire of 1881. Kind of ironic.

I don’t think they know the cause yet. As quick as it started I’m thinking electrical. They had just gotten home from church. It wasn’t going then. Shortly after my nephew noticed the barn was on fire. They were sitting in the house and didn’t know.

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1118 on: March 31, 2024, 06:35:26 pm »
That’s very sad to hear, glad no people were hurt and sorry about the cattle, bad way to go. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1119 on: April 01, 2024, 05:09:42 pm »
Yea they have a huge mess to clean up.

Waterlines that need to be found, uncovered and capped off before they can turn water back on.

I did a little field work today. Was time for this rye cover.

Then I looked at the beets I planted in my nephews food plot. They had a nice tap root started

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1120 on: April 10, 2024, 10:23:01 am »
The weather has been beautiful the past few days. A few planters starting to roll.

We don’t have any ground that is dry enough to suit me yet. Especially to plant right before the predicted 2” two day rain we are supposed to get the next two days.

The clouds cleared in time to see the eclipse. We aren’t in path of totality, but we were in the high  90% coverage.

It cooled down and the sun got noticeably dimmer. I looked at it with my wedding helmet and could see it really well. I tried to get pictures but didn’t turn out.

If you look at the reflection spots though you can see it.

One about 15 minutes before peak and one about a minute after

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 10:45:51 am by bjrogg »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1121 on: April 10, 2024, 10:25:37 am »
We didn’t plant yet but I am putting fertilizer on our wheat. Conditions are perfect for it and the rain will be just right for getting it to the crop

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1122 on: April 11, 2024, 09:32:48 am »
Yesterday morning I finished putting fertilizer on our wheat.

Then we decided to plant some sugar beets. The ground had dried up and worked up nice.

I don’t like planting right before a predicated two inch rain, but the ground was fit and the temperature is supposed to stay mild.

I did get our two smaller fields planted. Have about 76 acres planted.

It’s raining now and we won’t be planting again for at least a week. Probably more. Hopefully these beets will make it. They will probably be up before I can get anymore planted.

Bjrogg

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1123 on: April 11, 2024, 11:20:05 am »
And it starts. A few guys around here are planning on starting in a week or so, I've heard. Son in law is probably 3 weeks away. All pending on weather as usual. Hoping all goes well for you. 
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1124 on: April 11, 2024, 08:54:04 pm »
And it starts. A few guys around here are planning on starting in a week or so, I've heard. Son in law is probably 3 weeks away. All pending on weather as usual. Hoping all goes well for you.

That’s right Stoker. The start of a new season. Hope your son in law has a safe and bountiful year.

It’s always both exciting and nerve wracking putting those expensive little seeds in the ground.
And the promise of another crop is never a promise.lol.

This is when I like to get our sugar beets planted. By my birthday the 16th.

Corn and soybean about a month yet. Around first week of may.

Edible beans around June 1

Raining here yet but so far not hard. Sounds like it’s coming though.

I planted into a lot of residue and a rye cover crop. That should help with preventing ponding. Also soil crusting over harming emergence.

Time will tell. So far I feel good about having some planted.

Bjrogg