Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 118445 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2022, 07:59:45 am »
Thanks Mike. The man cave has been a 30 year work in progress. It literally was a falling down old three car garage when I bought the place. It was totally crammed full of junk to.

It’s a pretty comfortable place now. My wife calls it our basement. Our house doesn’t have a lot of room for entertainment and the basement isn’t much. It’s a old farm house that most people would have given up on but we have done a lot of work over the years and we like it. Probably could have built a new one easier.

This is our first high boy sprayer. I’m hoping we really like it. Our last sprayer was a 120’ wide pull type and we really made good use of it. It was 18 years old and would have been retired long ago if we weren’t good shop people. It folded out with hydraulics to and my cousin was amazed how it did. He took video of it and said it was like the transformer movie. I remember folding them by hand and they never worked really well after they got some wear and tear.

Really hope your apples are safe. And your sweet corn too. It’s not that unusual to get snow here end of April beginning of May. Usually we get some nice weather though to. Nice weather has bee hard to come by so far. Hopefully when it comes it stays.

Hope you and your son enjoy some good quality time flinging arrows.

Susie seems to be back to herself again. Zoey spent 3 days and nights at the vet. She still wasn’t eating anything.

She was so happy to see everyone and that really gave her the perking up she needed. She lost so much weight and the vet wasn’t very optimistic about her recovery but she was running out of options. She gave her a steroid and we took her home. She was to weak to climb stairs and very tired, but she was very happy to be home. Last night when I got home she did her normal barking routine. It’s our way of saying hello. I tell her grandpa is home and she barks her greeting to me. She came by me when I was eat and I got her to eat a little bit of chicken and a liver treat. After I finish supper she hoped up in my lap and enjoyed a good petting. She fell asleep on my lap with a big smile  on her face. She kept everything she ate down and is still sleeping. I’m cautiously optimistic. I told my daughter not to give up yet, but not to get her hopes up to much either.

I slept good to. It’s so nice to have everyone home again.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2022, 10:40:22 am »
I needed a distraction this morning and I went back to the woods to find it.

I traded someone for this long horn skull two winters ago. It was almost fresh with all the meat and hide still attached. It had been sitting at its former owners woods for a couple months so I didn’t feel like cleaning it up. I just put it back by my woods.

I was going to leave it till summer but with our weather delays and all the crazy stuff going on I needed a distraction like this. Going to try to finish cleaning it up.

Hope I can post pictures

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2022, 10:45:40 am »
Longhorn

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2022, 11:58:38 am »
Washing up a little.

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2022, 12:17:43 pm »
Glad to hear your wife is back to normal and pup is headed in the right direction!

That's a nice longhorn skull! My Dad had a set of horns in his office that he bought at the Fort Worth Stockyards in the 60's, had nearly a 7' span, my brother has them now.

I remember my Dad got a deal on about 6 longhorns when we were kids, we had about 200 feeder cattle and he was always looking for a deal on cattle. Well soon found out why they were cheap, damn near impossible to finish a longhorn, skinny buggers that did not put on weight...  We ended up selling them to Laotian's that would come out to the farm and butcher on the spot, had rituals and such prior to the slaughter.  They took everything but what was in the stomach and intestines.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2022, 12:28:38 pm »
Yeah I don’t think the ones at the neighbors are any fleshier than the one on the range. Thinking it was pretty lean beef.

Here’s one on my pickup tailgate. From taillight to taillight

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2022, 01:39:06 pm »
Still need to put the lower jaw back together but I’m thinking this is his new home.

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2022, 02:51:33 pm »
That would go in my Man Cave!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2022, 09:27:55 am »
I'd be tempted to try a horn bow out of it

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2022, 11:12:21 am »
That would go in my Man Cave!

As soon as I saw him I was thinking this was the spot. I really like him here. I do think he would look great inside to. He’d take up some real estate and I already have a lot of stuff in there and more to find a spot all the time.

Maybe this winter I’ll bring him inside.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2022, 11:17:16 am »
I'd be tempted to try a horn bow out of it

If he was strung right now. He’d have a pretty nice braced profile.

Pretty decent reflex if it’s unbraced profile.

Bjrogg

Maybe If I can get another one

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2022, 10:37:07 am »
Well Zoey and Susie are both doing much better now. That’s a huge relief.

Weather is still not letting us get anything done. Not completely soaked, but just can’t quite get dry enough to plant.

Have so much to do and can’t do any of it. When that happens I tend to start or finish up another project to keep my mind right.

Yesterday helped my nephew move into dad’s house.

Then I went for a walk on the beach. I picked up several interesting things. One was this piece of driftwood. I think I can probably do something with it.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2022, 10:39:34 am »
Then I went to the cedars looking for a handle for this lance point.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2022, 10:41:07 am »
Now I stripped the bark off and I’ll let it dry some.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2022, 04:16:42 am »
That Lance is cool ! Will send You a pic of a War Club I just finished - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.