Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 113442 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #480 on: October 06, 2022, 06:30:36 am »
Brian, you are fortunate to be able to see the day come in and fade into darkness on a daily basis. I'm sure there is a lot of work between but you always seem to be enjoying it all.  Isn't the coming full moon the harvest moon?

Yes Pat I know full well that I am very blessed to take care of this land. To be able to experience the natural beauty I am totally surrounded by.

This year has been a particularly beautiful year weather wise. We are dry and have needed rain almost all year. We are coming through it alright though and it has made planning our days so much easier. We have been able to keep up and not get behind.

Sometimes I’m surrounded by rain, mud, snow and ice. Let’s not forget manure.lol  Sometimes I get weeks behind with no real chance of catching up. That’s when it get harder to keep a smile on.  ;).

I’ve been doing this for a long time now. I’ve put crops in and taken them out in all kinds of growing seasons and conditions.

I guess much like making bows, arrows and flint knapping. Farming is a passion of mine. It’s more than a passion to me. I love what I do. Not saying it’s all fun and games. I do work hard, long dirty days. I experience financial stress that’s sometimes really hard to not let it eat you up.

I’ve had to sell land that we paid a much higher price than we sold it for. Probably one of the hardest things a farmer can do.

I know it’s not supposed to be a religious campfire and I try not to make politics or religion part of my threads but they are part of my life. I thank my maker everyday. Even the ones I’m surrounded by mud, rain and manure.

I am so thankful for my family and that we have been able to get along and do this together for so long. There are many operations that don’t. It’s not always easy working with family and friends. Everyone has to give a little.

One of the reasons I can get as much done as I do is my pit crew. My nephew is a really talented shop person. He’s a lot like me. Sometimes we clash a little because of it. We both see the project in it completed stage before it’s ever started. I tend to look at it longer and try to use old parts. My nephew is more from the cut it off with the torch and replace it with a new one. Honestly both ways are required and sometimes we blend our ways together.

Honestly I’ve really only given the abbreviated version. There’s probably be twice as much work done that I haven’t bothered posting.

We are getting closer to the end of this growing season. We have been fortunate to get our wheat, navy beans, black beans, silage and most of our soybeans. All have gone smoothly so far. Some of that is because of the weather and some of it is because of my pit crew.

We still have a little bit of soybeans and corn. The big one left for us is sugar beets. It’s a grind that usually wears us all out. We will put in very long days and work in some very challenging conditions. We will try to do it with a smile on our face. We might yell at each other once in awhile, but we know each other well and we know that we appreciate each other’s part in this operation.

Bjrogg

PS I’m not sure if this is the harvest moon or the hunters moon. I will be watching it though
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #481 on: October 06, 2022, 06:42:05 am »
Thank You more than you know Eric. I have had a lot of mixed emotions about doing this thread. I’m a little worried about giving so much personal information. It’s probably not really smart.

this post is very informative. I like it alot and it teaches me alot.
The personal informations contribute to depict the scene and the final result is definitely positive  :OK
Thankyou BJ

Thanks so much Gills. Honestly I’ve been wondering how people have been thinking about this post. I see lots of views, but I have wondered how people really felt about the post itself. I even thought about ending it a few times.

It so nice to know that you find it informative and interesting. That’s it’s whole purpose.

Thanks again everyone for coming here. I would love to give you all a real ride in the combine, sprayer or tractor.

You’ll have to come visit in person for that though.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #482 on: October 06, 2022, 06:56:40 am »
Stopped by the landlords field that I took the soybeans off of last night on the way home. He had his old two cylinder John Deere tractor out. I visited with him for awhile and then he drove off into the sunset.

Bjrogg

Offline BrianS

« Reply #483 on: October 06, 2022, 08:18:32 am »
Bjrogg,
I find your posts and pictures very interesting and although I do not reply to each post, I do appreciate you taking the time to make the posts. I know it takes considerable time to do but Please if you can keep posting them.
Take care,
brian

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #484 on: October 06, 2022, 09:15:26 am »
I grew up on a hobby farm of a grand total of 9 acres, 3 cows, 2 pigs, a flock of goats and a bunch of chickens, very small scale but we always had plenty to eat with the livestock and a big garden. I have grown a garden every year since I was 22 (I am 75 now), my early upbringing stuck with me, the woods provide my livestock for the freezer.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #485 on: October 06, 2022, 08:06:06 pm »
BJ, Every time I read this thread it makes me think of the Paul Harvey speech (So God Made A Farmer). For those that haven't heard it it's worth a listen as is most anything of his.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #486 on: October 07, 2022, 06:25:17 am »
Bjrogg,
I find your posts and pictures very interesting and although I do not reply to each post, I do appreciate you taking the time to make the posts. I know it takes considerable time to do but Please if you can keep posting them.
Take care,
brian

Thanks Brian. I really don’t expect or want everyone to reply to every post I make here. It would make this post so long. I have to admit I am happy for the replies I have received though and the realization that people are finding it informative and interesting.

It has definitely encouraged me to keep the thread going. I probably would have anyway but I definitely will give it my best effort’s knowing its being viewed by people who are learning from it.

Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #487 on: October 07, 2022, 06:30:39 am »
It's good you posted your day to day activities of working on a farm.There's seems to be a farther disconnection of how important the farmer is to the enviornment and the countrys' value.
One must realize there's many different types of farms too.One thing about them.There is no lack of work to be done.Sun up to sundown.It's a life style that has stuck with me and my family.
We all seem to have a down to earth common sense viewpoint of life.The weather and the seasons' control our activities and lives.Answering to mother nature and the world outside it.That connection and the importance of it never leaves a person.
Most all holidays are working days.You have to be an investing,problem solving,risk taking jack of all trades with labor and financial difficulties to make it work.Capitalizing on the good years and cinching up on the bad years.Making life changing decisions every year,with the purpose to continue to grow.Realizing too what is important and what is not.
Here's a poem explaining it a little.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:15:37 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #488 on: October 07, 2022, 06:38:06 am »
I grew up on a hobby farm of a grand total of 9 acres, 3 cows, 2 pigs, a flock of goats and a bunch of chickens, very small scale but we always had plenty to eat with the livestock and a big garden. I have grown a garden every year since I was 22 (I am 75 now), my early upbringing stuck with me, the woods provide my livestock for the freezer.

Eric I’m sure that small hobby farm did a lot to shape the man you became. Just taking care of a handful of animals and a garden is a great life experience. I’ve always enjoyed your post to and I can see the passion you put into your projects and garden.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #489 on: October 07, 2022, 06:42:03 am »
You know it Ed. I can see that work ethic in all of your projects to.

It is a very rewarding job. At least if you can see the beauty in everything it entails.

Thanks for posting the poem. I don’t think I ever saw that one before.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #490 on: October 07, 2022, 06:49:15 am »
BJ, Every time I read this thread it makes me think of the Paul Harvey speech (So God Made A Farmer). For those that haven't heard it it's worth a listen as is most anything of his.
Piddler

Gotta love Paul Harvey. He was a wonderful person and so interesting to listen to. He just had a way of making things simple and to the point. He had a wonderful way with words and I think he must have really loved life.

Maybe I should be ending each post with.

“And now you know the rest of the story”

“Good Day?”

Bjrogg

PS I love that poem. My daughter and son in law just gave it to me for my birthday on a big plaque. It’s hanging on my living room wall.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #491 on: October 07, 2022, 07:00:40 am »
Yesterday was a little bit slower paced.

My son finished up planting his neighbors wheat and before he cleaned up the drill and stored it away I wanted to take a good look at our wheat to make sure I didn’t miss any spots or have any guff ups.

The wheat all looks really good as far as I can see. Don’t see any missing spots either. I told my son he could put his drill away.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #492 on: October 07, 2022, 07:08:58 am »
Then I sharpen my chainsaw and trimmed a few of the trees I planted in the fence row. This one is kinda small and the wild grapes have almost killed it. It’s actually one that grew on its own from a pine cone. The original ones I planted here died.

It’s right in the corner and some day I hope to have a tree stand in it. Maybe I gave it a little chance. Would have done more but lots of poison ivy there and I’m very allergic to poison ivy. I washed really good right away. Seems like I avoided the nasty rash so far.

Still looking a bit sad but the vines are all cut and lower limbs trimmed. Maybe I will be able to hunt from it someday or someone else if not me.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #493 on: October 07, 2022, 07:12:25 am »
While I was looking at the wheat I harvested a five gallon bucket of asparagus seeds and twigs. We have a road ditch that it grows very good in. Lots of people walk this ditch and harvest asparagus. That’s fine with me but my wife and I love asparagus and I’m hoping to start some in a different secret location.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:19:55 am by bjrogg »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #494 on: October 07, 2022, 07:17:33 am »
The weather is supposed to turn colder and I decided while it was still nice I wanted to wash the sprayer up and get it ready to winterize .

While I was washing it our the Deere mechanic called and said he had the parts to do the warranty work. He came over and we made the repairs. Then I finished washing. Was almost dark by then and the weather was switching from warm and calm to cold and windy.

Glad I tackled that job and got the warranty work done before we parked it away

Bjrogg

Sorry no pictures of the clean sprayer