Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 117772 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2022, 06:58:11 am »
It’s been feeling a lot like fall. The temperature has dropped and I had to turn the furnace on a few nights ago.

We finished up the soybeans Monday and got my son’s combine cleaned up really good with the leaf blower yesterday. It’s a really nasty job and when your done the combine looks pretty clean. But you look like you need the go through a car wash. It still needs a good wash job but it’s clean enough to store away now.

It was a beautiful day yesterday and after we finished with my son’s combine we took ours out and tried some of our corn. We shelled two truckloads. Our moisture tester called it 22% but the cooperative said it was 24 and 25%. Hoping to get a little drier than that. Lots of deductions at that moisture.

The cool comfortable weather we have had has really slowed the corns development. My son grows longer day corn than we do. Usually you can get a little higher yields with the longer day corn but the moisture is higher. He feeds most of his corn to his cattle so it’s not a big problem for him. He’s out of high moisture corn for feed now and his corn is still 30+ moisture. Doesn’t make the best feed at that high of moisture. We would like to get it to 27%. He needs feed though so we shelled out to loads for him to feed. It should last him until we finish sugar beets and we finished the field he had chopped part of for silage. Nice to finish the field so he can spread rye cover and do tillage on it.

Supposed to rain again today. We are still dry. We have had rainy days but the amounts have been very small. That’s probably ok at this point. To late for rain to help at this point and it will probably just make harvest more difficult. Then cold again.

Feels like beet digging weather. Probably about a week away from permanent pile .

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2022, 07:01:57 am »
I think the Maples are about at their peak for color now.
Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2022, 07:51:04 pm »
Wow, you guys are way ahead of farmers around here, still a lot of beans in the field and I haven't seen anyone combining corn yet.  I assume you don't have a dryer?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #498 on: October 14, 2022, 06:38:33 am »
Wow, you guys are way ahead of farmers around here, still a lot of beans in the field and I haven't seen anyone combining corn yet.  I assume you don't have a dryer?

We have been getting a lot of work done and are getting it done on schedule.

Edible beans are typically harvested a little before soybeans if the weather cooperates.

We have a fairly short growing season here. We typically grow shorter day varieties of soybeans and corn.

Our night time temperatures are in the 30’s now and stuff doesn’t grow or mature very fast with lows in the 30’s and highs in the 40’s. We also tend to have a lot of cloudy days in the fall.

We personally don’t grow very much corn or soybeans anymore. When we farmed more acres and raised cattle we planted about ten times as much corn as we do now. We did have a old KanSun drier that was from the 70’s actually two of them. They were very slow and not very efficient. We didn’t dry much corn anyway. We feed almost all of it to cattle.

We are hoping to get the corn we have harvested before sugar beets begin our permanent piles. We were informed that the start date is set for October 20 a week from yesterday. Our corn has been quite stressed due to the dry conditions. It tends to cannibalize it’s stalk to put everything it can into its grain. This causes it to have weak stalks and not stand good. We don’t want to wait three weeks and go through several wind events before we harvest it. Drying charges are expensive but crop loses are to. It’s always a catch 22. With crop prices we have now, crop loses add up really fast.

It’s been drizzling, almost snowing, windy and cold for the past three days. We did get a inch or more now on most of our farms. At this point I it’s not going to help any of our crops much and I kinda hope it stops for a few weeks.

We are working in the shop at getting ready for beets. We were informed that our drivers would not be allowed to exit our trucks after we were stationed at the piler. Our trucks have the controls to raise and lower the box inside the cab so that part isn’t a problem. Someone does have to push a button or the side of the trailer frame to open the tailgate though. We and most everyone else have been using this tailgate system for over thirty years. The new requirements won’t allow our trucks to unload at the piling grounds .

We had to modify all our trucks and trailers so we can open tailgate without leaving truck cab. Of course everyone is in the same boat and we are all trying to find supplies to do this at the same time. Fortunately we did have most of the parts we needed in our shop for spare parts. We did some creative thinking and modified other parts. It looked pretty hopeless for awhile but I think we are going to have all of our trucks and trailers able to meet the requirements. I personally feel our old system was safer, but it’s a OSHA requirement and they obviously don’t see things like I do.

Looks like several more days of the same weather. A little harder to keep that smile now, but we are still smiling. Still blessed to be here

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #499 on: October 15, 2022, 10:59:55 pm »
Enjoy trying to keep up with your thread here BJ. Don't have much experience in row crops other than sweet corn. Its interesting seeing how its different or the same as fruits and veggies. Regardless in either case the weather always plays a big factor. Sure hope you get some sun and wind to dry things up enough you can get after that corn and beans before beets come in. Regardless keep on keepin on BJ.
Been cold and dampish here for the last few weeks. Had a few frosty mornings but nothing heavy yet. Trying to get all the tomatoes and peppers picked off before we get a heavy frost. Its been 7 days a week now for longer than I want to admit. I ran 120 bushels of apples today by my self just to keep the farm market supplied and will do the same tomorrow. Very limited on helpers so I've been doing all of the grading and packing. Its been an average harvest on the apples this year, much better than I had predicted a few months ago. So rewarding, for me, seeing the crop through the seasons and then to the costumers, even if it tuckers you out. Only thing left to harvest is Rome. snapped a pic yesterday right before the crew picked these trees.
IMG_5126 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
And here they were on a 2.25" grading chain this morning. Anything too small falls through and will be used for juice.
IMG_5131 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Still will have some work to do after harvest in the orchards and can't stop till its all done but looks like Monday the apples will all be in a bin in the cooler and that will be a relief. Although the USDA is supposed to be coming for a food safety inspection before the end of the month so I need to check into all the paperwork for that as well. Hope come November I can get back to the shop and finish up some bows that are long over due.
Mike     

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2022, 06:29:50 am »
Thanks for sharing your operation with us Mike. I have found it very interesting and I learned a lot from it to.

It’s like Ed said. There are so many different types of farming operations. It’s always interesting to see how they do things.

One question for you. Have you ever grown a variety of apples we called Rusty Coats? There were a few very old orchards around here that had Rusty Coats. They literally looked like rusty apples. I haven’t seen one since I was a kid. The old timers said they were very disease resistant.

They were not nearly as tasty as the variety on the market today. They really have breed some awesome apple varieties.

Hope you can find enough help. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find every year. A lot of our help has aged to the point they have either passed or aren’t in good enough health to do it anymore. Even though they would love to.

Maybe it’s just because I’m a old fart now, but it seems like we have been having a difficult time recruiting younger help. It’s not just us though. It’s the common problem we all seem to share around here. It’s one of the reasons there have been so many changes in the way we harvest our crops. Especially sugar beets.

Another thing. It’s almost funny. I’m almost surprised you can still sell tomatoes. I only had two plants I shared with anyone I could give them away to. I can’t find anyone to give them away to anymore l.lol

Once again thanks for sharing your operation. And have a safe harvest

Bjrogg

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2022, 02:32:22 pm »
I have friends who have a booth at the local farmers market and they sell my extra tomatoes, beans and peppers. We split the take and it gets me some summer spending cash. I can't officially call my stuff "Organic",(but it is)and is also pesticide free.
I had six Jet Star plants and three Roma this year and we had plenty to use, share and sell.

Offline M2A

« Reply #502 on: October 17, 2022, 08:06:02 am »
Kinda funny. I have been reading up on heirloom apples the last few days. I have never heard of Rusty Coats but depending on the source there were 10k-14k different types of apples grown in NA 100 years ago. Most are gone now. I know where a few trees are next to a 200 year old log cabin, and was thinking of getting some graft wood this winter to put on junk tree or 2 in the big orchard. Just for fun, but that does not help the bottom line with the business. :)

We grow about 5 acres of tomatoes, I'd need to check my numbers but I think there are 6k plants an acre. Sounds high, I'll edit if I find out different too early to do the math.  Best year ever around here for that crop. Every one in there area has told me the same. We gave several 100 bushels to the local food bank and still had too much. I think they pay cost actually but I usually dont see the numbers. Last year because of bacterial diseases the crop was done in September. You never know when planting what will happen.

As far as help...Dont have the time to get too deep on that atm. But we have a crew with work visas for the growing season. Long hours, hard work and most are kids in their 20's. They will go back home in November. I did everything they do now back in the day. A lot of hand work. But its changed a lot over the past 30+ years. Most of the folks that work in the market are older and retired from a career but still hard to find people to run a cash register and similar jobs.  But I dont have to deal with that part of things.
Mike                     

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #503 on: October 17, 2022, 09:02:22 am »
I read about a project where a group was scouring old maps looking for abandoned farms and orchards to try to find unique apple varieties still living and neglected from over 100 years ago that had not been passed on to today. I don't know how many varieties they had found but remember they were fairly successful with their project.

Offline M2A

« Reply #504 on: October 18, 2022, 08:46:25 am »
Had been reading some information about the same stuff a few days ago Eric. I bet there is a lot of genetics in some of those older varieties that could, at the very least add some good traits into breeding programs. Wish I had more time to actually play around with it myself as a hobby.
Mike   

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #505 on: October 18, 2022, 02:58:36 pm »
I read about a project where a group was scouring old maps looking for abandoned farms and orchards to try to find unique apple varieties still living and neglected from over 100 years ago that had not been passed on to today. I don't know how many varieties they had found but remember they were fairly successful with their project.

That’s the kind of orchards these rusty coats grew in. The orchards were badly neglected and the trees weren’t pruned and dead limbs still standing.

The farm I rent from my neighbor, he told me was a forty acre orchard at one time. There’s still a quite a few trees around the fence rows. There’s a yellow variety that’s really sweet and really late. I should do some pruning on it. I don’t know a lot about pruning, but I think just about anything I did to it would help it.

There’s still a few trees in the orchard by my dad’s neighbor.

Most of the trees have died though

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #506 on: October 18, 2022, 03:33:42 pm »
Been trying to sneak corn off when the weather cooperates. Which hasn’t been much lately. Rain snow mix and high winds. It’s definitely hard to smile standing out surrounded by this stuff.lol This is really beet digging weather. Refrigerator weather. Perfect temperature for piling beets. We haven’t started permanent piles yet though. Thursday is beginning of permanent piles. Then Friday it’s supposed to start warming up so we might just get started only to be shut down again. We have to pile the beets in the right conditions for storage. The last thing we want is to discard beets again.

Took a couple loads of corn to town. Getting loaded by the cart

Bjrogg

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #507 on: October 18, 2022, 08:00:57 pm »
Headed down to Lawrence today and noticed they were harvesting beans north of town. There were three combines going and the dust was flying. I also saw that there is some corn that didn't get harvested yet in the same tract.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #508 on: October 21, 2022, 06:52:26 am »
Yesterday was the beginning of the permanent pile beet harvest. The temperature is perfect for harvesting beets and storing them on our piles. Pile them to warm and they will quickly rot. Pile them when they are frozen and they will thaw on the pile and turn to mush.

It’s the perfect temperature but as often is the case that comes with drizzle and maybe a few snow flakes.

We worked at it till about 11:00 am and then the trucks just couldn’t get around anymore. The field was actually good where we hadn’t dug yet but the drizzle mixed with fresh dirt and sugar beet leaves get pretty greasy in a hurry. We sometimes have to keep going in conditions like this but it’s still early in the campaign and we decided to wait till today to try it again. Stars are shining I think it should go better today.

We did finish our corn. That means we can get the second cart ready for beets

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #509 on: October 22, 2022, 06:18:43 am »
Yesterday was a nice sunny day. Today is supposed to be even nicer. To nice for digging beets. The plan is for us to shut down starting at noon . Probably until Wednesday. That one of the things that makes beet harvest a real pain in the butt. We rarely get to harvest in nice weather.

We worked at helping our neighbors harvest theirs and things went pretty good. The smaller trucks could load along side the lifter.

Bjrogg