Author Topic: Fletching jigs  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Fox

Fletching jigs
« on: January 23, 2022, 02:05:58 pm »
I’m trying to find the most cost effective and time efficient way of getting arrows… I’m really bad at fletching and arrows I fletch never shoot good and it’s not cause of the arrow shaft I use the same spine as the arrows I buy… anyway so I always buy arrows but that’s way to expensive…

How good are fletching jigs? Would they help me do you guys think? And are cheaper ones worth it? Or is the only one worth having the bitzenburg
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fletching jigs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 06:19:49 pm »
Have you tried the Eastern Woodland 2 fletch on your arrows? They are quite simple to make and can work as well as a typical 3 fletch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 08:07:04 pm »
Yeah Pat I've done the 2 fletch and love it, I have only fletched like 2 arrows that way and really like it. Maybe I should try fletching a batch with correct spine and see how they turn out!

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 08:13:14 am »
I made my own. I was frustrated with the ones I bought. These worked better https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/diy-arrow-fletching-jig/
Don

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 10:15:38 am »
Jigs are great.  Made a couple of homemade models thst didn't work as good as I would've liked so acquired some commercial models.

I have both an older Bitzenberger and a plastic Bohning and honestly I prefer the cheap plastic Bohning jig.

Alot of guys complain that glue sticks to the plastic...well, easy solution: oil it.  I use just a smidge of olive oil on the tip of my finger and wipe it along the contact surfaces inside and outside.  Works great to prevent any glue slop from sticking.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 08:19:44 pm »
JO JAN single fletch is a useful tool. Ive been using mine for lots of years. Not so fast but does what I need one at a time.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 11:10:01 pm »
I have a JoJan Multi-Fletch that was given to me by a friend that's allergic to feathers. It was given to him by an older guy that had aged out of archery. I've had it over 30 years and I'd bet it was at least 20 years old when I got it. Still works like the day it was made. It's a straight fletch(not helical) but it can fletch left or right feathers and fletch straight or offset left or right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 11:16:01 am »
the way I do it is by hand. no matter what the wood is, I lay down a thin film of hide glue. I PEEL my feathers to where it is a paper thin quill. doing it this way gives the feather a great adhesion spot and it lays flat on shaft. Peeling the feather removes the quill and leaves a fine paper thin area. I cut each end of feather to just paper quill about 1/4 inch. I hold feathers in hand and wrap with sinew on front of feather to hold all three. After the front is tied I can go ahead and wrap full length to end. An extra set of hands would be nice but hey we only got two.. Once wrapped I can adjust helical to my preference. It will slide easily to where I want it then let dry and trim feathers ...Feathers attached this way will NOT pull off and will be set perfectly.. so easy a caveman can do it...I am going to make some cane arrows soon and do a full video on how I do my cane arrows..foreshafted.. won't be able to post it here  but I will attach a link when I get it done.. gut

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 05:35:44 pm »
Have you tried the Eastern Woodland 2 fletch on your arrows? They are quite simple to make and can work as well as a typical 3 fletch.

I really am liking the two fletch. Pretty quick and simple to make. Looks great with wild turkey tail feathers.

Just finished a  target arrow and it shoots like a dart. I thought it might be a bit loud, but it sounds like silence . I don’t think I have ever heard a quieter arrow.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 09:35:52 am »
The more I shoot it the more I like it. It really seems like a fast and quiet arrow. Still surprised.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Fox

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 04:35:14 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas guys! Don I think I will try to make that jig.

I have got a bunch of turkey tail feathers I am going to try to the 2 fletch with them, that arrow looks sweet bjrogg

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 08:50:50 am »
I seen one that looked like the one I made, but was three jigs in a triangle so you can do all three feathers at once. I need to try that.

I also need to try the Eastern Woodland 2 fletch. That looks pretty good

Don