Author Topic: Secondary pinch grip  (Read 5253 times)

Black Moshannon

Secondary pinch grip
« on: January 23, 2022, 08:47:33 pm »
This might seem crazy but I’m going to pinch grip. I played with it today, using the assisted grip with the index and middle finger down on the string. I’ve heard that’s called secondary? Using my heaviest bow (55#) I was able to draw to an anchor spot with the back of my thumb resting under my cheekbone and aim the arrow. I was able to achieve good back tension. The pinch grip draw lengthened my draw somewhat. Currently experimenting to see where I should put my draw check on the arrow, since I use that as a mental trigger to release. I’m thinking around 26.5-27 inches. I’m also working on a special leather tab which fits the finger orientation. I’m also making flared nock inserts which insert into a drilled out spot in my shoot shafts, which fortunately have a handy hollow pith. I have to say, the arrow flight was beautiful with this release. Im thinking this draw has the advantage of like a three under Mediterranean in that it allows the arrow to be anchored close under the eye; but with the added advantage that you don’t have to have a set nock point and clip on nocks. The thumb keeps the nock where it needs to be. I’ll post some pics of my new flared nock arrows. Really excited about this. All my gear is more native style, why not shoot that way too

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Secondary pinch grip
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 01:03:19 am »
I’ve been shooting a tertiary pinch grip since I got into this stuff over 12 years ago.  The pinch grip does require a different spine than a hooked grip and release.  Just something I have noticed

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 05:24:51 am »
I’ve been shooting a tertiary pinch grip since I got into this stuff over 12 years ago.  The pinch grip does require a different spine than a hooked grip and release.  Just something I have noticed

That’s great. How is the accuracy for you?  Do you need a heavier or lighter spine?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:53:31 pm »
You must have some pretty good finger strength!  I have played around with tertiary grip a bit (I believe that is what you are describing) and found usable draw weight to be lower than with my usual Mediterranean grip. 

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 09:06:05 pm »
I don’t know if it’s grip strength or how the fingers are oriented. I locked my thumb over the top of my index finger which is curled around the string and the middle finger is around the string under that. There is some amount of pinching going on but I think it’s more a stabilizing effect. I don’t know, still learning to work it out. I have to say, the leather tab makes a world of difference. I remember the first time I shot Mediterranean, I had to have a glove cause it hurt my fingers. I would imagine learning pinch grip is similar. Awkward and slightly painful at first

Black Moshannon

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 11:16:42 am »
Ok the thumb does not go over the top of the index finger, as I said above, it clamps along the arrow nock. I am anchoring with the back of the thumb in the hollow between my ear and jaw. I have to tilt the bow to 45 degrees to allow the arrow to appear straight since I’m anchoring so far off the right side of my head. I was able to shoot into a 8 inch by 8 area from 15-20 yards with unmatched arrow and  string follow light 40 pound bow I’m using to play with this. It works

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 02:13:05 am »
Accuracy for me is better than if I shoot Mediterranean.  I’ve always worked with my hands since age of 10 so I have pretty good finger strength I would say.  I can do push ups just using my thumb and index finger on each hand.

I also shoot bare fingers.  I could never get a feel for a glove or leather on either bow hand or string hand.  I am accurate enough I am comfortable hunting out to 15 yards. I can consistently hit a 6” group at that range. 

As for spine.  My arrows are spined weaker than with shooting with a hooked Mediterranean grip.  I can grab an arrow and shoot it tertiary and it veers off left like it’s over spined.  Same arrow shot tertiary flies straight where I look. 

I’ve been experimenting shooting the tertiary grip right handed with the arrow on the opposite side(left side) and I’ve been having some crazy straight arrow flight with all different length and spine arrows.  I do torque the bow using that kathra term thumb shooters use.  Accuracy shooting this way is all over.  It’s a whole new learning curve but it’s fun.  The arrows don’t even seem to paradox at all. They fly laser straight.  It’s just really hard to adjust to not being able to sight down the arrow in my peripheral
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:20:09 am by aznboi3644 »

Black Moshannon

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 05:37:01 pm »
Accuracy for me is better than if I shoot Mediterranean.  I’ve always worked with my hands since age of 10 so I have pretty good finger strength I would say.  I can do push ups just using my thumb and index finger on each hand.

I also shoot bare fingers.  I could never get a feel for a glove or leather on either bow hand or string hand.  I am accurate enough I am comfortable hunting out to 15 yards. I can consistently hit a 6” group at that range. 

As for spine.  My arrows are spined weaker than with shooting with a hooked Mediterranean grip.  I can grab an arrow and shoot it tertiary and it veers off left like it’s over spined.  Same arrow shot tertiary flies straight where I look. 

I’ve been experimenting shooting the tertiary grip right handed with the arrow on the opposite side(left side) and I’ve been having some crazy straight arrow flight with all different length and spine arrows.  I do torque the bow using that kathra term thumb shooters use.  Accuracy shooting this way is all over.  It’s a whole new learning curve but it’s fun.  The arrows don’t even seem to paradox at all. They fly laser straight.  It’s just really hard to adjust to not being able to sight down the arrow in my peripheral

Interesting that you’re trying to shoot off same side of bow like they do with the thumb draw. I played with it and yes, can’t see arrow and therefore no way to gap. So I’m just shooting the normal way.  I found that gripping the bulb nock with the first thumb joint so the pad of the thumb lays along the arrow just above the nock, and the second joint of the index finger presses against the back of the nock, allows the arrow to be pressed against the side of the bow during the draw, instead of being pulled out away. My index finger and middle finger are underneath supporting/ carrying most of the weight of the draw. I found the tab I made makes it so much easier. Ok another thing I ran into was this sort of draw is easiest with a side of the face/ear anchor so inevitably I’m dealing with arrow parallax since the nock point is off to the right and the tip is pointing left. Canting helps get things more lined up, and tilting my head over the string helped too. Still trying to figure it out. Joel Turner shoots with a thumb ring and he draws to the ear and says the sight picture, with arrow off to the right of his eye , is “phenomenal “. So it can work, I just have to play with it

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 06:53:15 pm »
Shooting this pinch grip my index and muffler finger support all of the weight of the string and they are bent 90 degrees with my thumb pinching the nock and keeping it pressed against the bow.  I don’t draw to cheek or ear.  I anchor with my thumb nail in the corner of my mouth.  My bow is heavily canted at least 45 degrees sometimes more if I’m sitting on the ground or kneeling.  I also tilt my head so the arrow is directly under my dominant eye.  I see the arrow in my peripheral but I don’t use it to aim or point.  I solely focus on the small spot I want to hit.  I can group various Arrows from 24” to 36” long into a paper plate at 15 yards.  Various spines and weights and lengths but they group decent for shooting instinctive snap shooting.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 07:10:16 pm »
Shooting this pinch grip my index and muffler finger support all of the weight of the string and they are bent 90 degrees with my thumb pinching the nock and keeping it pressed against the bow.  I don’t draw to cheek or ear.  I anchor with my thumb nail in the corner of my mouth.  My bow is heavily canted at least 45 degrees sometimes more if I’m sitting on the ground or kneeling.  I also tilt my head so the arrow is directly under my dominant eye.  I see the arrow in my peripheral but I don’t use it to aim or point.  I solely focus on the small spot I want to hit.  I can group various Arrows from 24” to 36” long into a paper plate at 15 yards.  Various spines and weights and lengths but they group decent for shooting instinctive snap shooting.

Paper plate at 15 yards is pretty good for varying arrows. This release works. I’m getting excited. Yea that anchor would work better for lining arrow under eye. I tried back of thumb pressed just under cheekbone and that was decent. May have to play around and see which one will be easier to aim with. Yea those instinctive shots are nice. I think all my small game hunting shots are going to be instinctive since usually the groundhog or squirrel is moving when I shoot, and usually it’s a quick shot . My last hunting shots I still used the arrow tip in my sight picture though. I really like practicing with the gap and hard aiming when I’m target shooting. But either way this release is working. I don’t know why more shooters don’t try it or use it. I’ve noticed it has an effect almost like three under where it’s easier to get the arrow closer under the eye, reducing the gap

Black Moshannon

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 10:01:06 pm »
Just an update: I had to ditch using this method because I cannot hold the bow vertically and anchor with this grip. Worked fine when canting the bow. But I’m only shooting vertically so this is out the window. It was fun to play with for awhile though.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 04:52:29 pm »
I think it would be more accurate for shorter bows,, no finger pinch and string angle would not be an issue as well,,I want to try it,,

Black Moshannon

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 01:46:33 pm »
If you’re not coming to a full anchor and holding with a vertical bow I can’t see why it wouldn’t be an awesome release. I made a leather tab for it which really made it easy. I was coming to an anchor point on my face and holding, but the bow had to be tilted just enough to allow the angle with the thumb and hand to be anchored into the face. Should be a sweet release for fluid release shooting too, that’s just not my cup of tea