Author Topic: billet bow questions  (Read 902 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
billet bow questions
« on: March 05, 2022, 07:49:10 pm »
I am building a series of billet bows from Scotch Broom, just to see what it can do - its a staggeringly good bow wood - anyway, couple of questions, first one: if the crown of one billet does not match the crown of the other billet, how do you hide the messy join where the curves of the crowns don't marry up nicely?  Second - the disadvantage of Scotch Broom is it's a small diameter timber and often only comes in short lengths so  is there any way of estimating the likely draw weight of a billet before you splice a pair together.  There are very dew examples out there to get suggestions on limb width/thickness/taper.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 08:58:19 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline Kidder

Re: billet bow questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 09:53:10 pm »
Presumably because of the small diameter and therefore high crown, you’ll want to decrown it - just blend the joint at that time.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 02:32:37 am »
Broom will handle the crown. Just do the 'blending' at the splice. It isn't bending so doesn't matter as long as you do it gradually. Sinew backed broom is sweet!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 09:04:37 am »
My broom is pretty knotty, but the knots are unusual, the wood I describe as "knobbly" around the holes where the knots die back.  To prepare for sinew, if it were any other timber, I would rasp down the knobbly bits and fill the holes with wood glue and sawdust.  Is this the best wy forward for Broom?