Author Topic: Target Cherokee Two Fletch  (Read 2519 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Target Cherokee Two Fletch
« on: January 27, 2022, 09:55:55 am »
    I don’t know why it took me so long. I’ve always thought they were beautiful arrows. Made a few stone point ones I gave as gifts for Christmas. Everyone really liked them.

I hadn’t shot one though. I did make a couple Atlatl darts and basically used the same fletch just bigger. I was amazed how much rotation I got from my dart.

I had to try a target arrow. I straightened out a river cane shaft. Wrapped both ends with sinew. Drilled a hole in point end just so pole barn spike fit it tight. I cut off head side of spike and shortened up to 165 grains. I cut my self notch and shot it bareshaft. Was a tad week so nipped off just a little more spike. Good arrow flight so I put on my fletch.

I’m so surprised by this arrow. I thought it would be loud and probably have a lot of drag. It’s the quietest arrow I have ever shot. And it seems fast.

Bjrogg

PS don’t know why I waited so long, but it won’t be as long a wait for the next one.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Target Cherokee Two Fletch
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 09:59:18 am »
The pointy end

Bjrogg

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 10:50:44 am »
awesome... love it.. gut

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 09:51:46 am »
Looks nice BJ. I make that style also I was surprised how quiet and how well they shoot also.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 10:43:12 am »
Looks awesome! Can you show a picture of how much spiral the fletching has please? Also how long does the quill extend past the feathers for the sinew wrap?
In the woods I find my peace

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 11:09:00 am »
Thanks Rob. I’m not sure why, but it really is quite. Maybe it’s the tail feathers? Maybe the orientation? Whatever it is it’s very quiet.

Allyn T  it’s pretty simple once you figure out it. The trickiest part is stripping the fletch and really that’s easy when you figure it out.

I was thinking next time I might try a build along for how I do it.

As far as the spiral goes. The front of the fletch gets wrapped top and bottom of shaft. (Arrow notched on string) the front of the fletch is striped so fletch is only on one side of quill. About half way back the fletch is where I start to strip it. And from there back fletch is on both sides of quill.

The rear of fletch is wrapped to the sides of arrow. I like to do it so front of tail feathers ( as on the turkey) are against shaft and rear of tail feathers is facing outward. I think you could do it either way but it seems to keep loose part of quill close to shaft this way and I think the spiral is a little neater.

Bjrogg

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 10:55:44 pm »
Do you glue it or wrap the middle at all on yours?
In the woods I find my peace

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 06:51:38 am »
No I don’t glue or wrap middle
Bjrogg

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 08:56:26 am »
I definitely want to try this. Just a few more pictures of the fletch will help.
Don

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 03:35:20 pm »
I’m going to try to do a arrow build along here soon. I’m building one now and trying to get pictures as I go to explain what I’m doing. Hopefully they will post and I can get it done soon. That stuff is always easier said than done.

Bjrogg