Author Topic: First ever bow - ash self bow  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Blink

Re: First ever bow - ash self bow
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 02:22:35 pm »
So I spent the afternoon cutting and splitting the yew trunks that had been left long enough by the volunteers cleaning up the woods.

Looks to me like they are mostly too wiggly to use, please let me know what you all think?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 02:34:38 pm by Blink »

Offline Hamish

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 06:31:58 pm »
Too wiggly...not a chance, you have some good looking staves there. Some people pay a premium for staves like that. Not as easy to tiller, for sure. These are the staves a master bowyer pines for, they don't come around very often(in any species of bow wood), and you have scored them first go.

As you have only made one bow so far, you might want to get a few more under your belt first before tackling them. Confidence from experience is the key(plus a pair of calipers to check thickness taper of the wriggles).
I have faith that you will be able to do them justice, after the skills you have shown in your first bow.

Offline txdm

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 06:36:07 pm »
What a beautiful bow. She is so lucky to have a great father like you!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 06:38:45 pm »
Welcome to PA. You did an excellent job on your first bow. Agree with BJ... your daughter has very good form. Hope she has many days enjoying her new bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 05:35:07 am »
Very nice design! Looks good for a first bow ( or second, third, etc). Welcome to P.A.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Blink

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2022, 06:50:07 am »
Too wiggly...not a chance, you have some good looking staves there. Some people pay a premium for staves like that. Not as easy to tiller, for sure. These are the staves a master bowyer pines for, they don't come around very often(in any species of bow wood), and you have scored them first go.

As you have only made one bow so far, you might want to get a few more under your belt first before tackling them. Confidence from experience is the key(plus a pair of calipers to check thickness taper of the wriggles).
I have faith that you will be able to do them justice, after the skills you have shown in your first bow.

Thanks.

Until these yew staves have seasoned (can I get away with 18 months or less?) I still have a few ash staves that are far from perfect but well seasoned so worth trying something with.