Author Topic: Spalling work  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Parnell

Spalling work
« on: January 31, 2022, 09:52:56 am »
Thought I’d post up. Chilly weather this weekend for S Fl!  First time in almost 20 years I had to scrape ice off my windshield, this morning!

Mullet (I hope you chime in here, Eddie) passed his kiln on to me a little while back, along with some rock, but I needed to switch out the plug to the type I have out in the shop for welding.  Got that done.  I spalled out some Flint River, Ocala Chert, and a bit of coral.  Got a lot of really nice flakes.  I’ve done some spalling, before, but this was the most I’ve ever done in a weekend.  The Flint River was pretty easy going, but it took me a bit to get used to the Ocala Chert.  Tougher, for sure!  Started to figure out some technique and realized how to approach it differently when the core started getting tough to knock more off.  But, really turned out well and I’ll be looking to heat treat some of this stone.  First, I am going to do some temperature testing on the kiln, though.

So, just to post and get the information down.  That Ocala Chert should be at a higher temperature about 450 for 4-5 hours along with lower grade coral?  Higher grade coral and Flint River at a lower temp?  Thoughts on this?

Here are some pictures…between the spalling work and processing enough sinew to back a bow my hands are definitely feeling a little beat up today!  That’s a good thing, though.  I sat in the sun processing the sinew.  The dogs wouldn’t leave me alone!
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: Spalling work
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 09:58:34 am »
Some others…
1’—>1’

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 10:25:14 am »
Man that grey stuff looks tough as heck! The coral is beautiful can wait to see how it all heats out. I love spalling, it's my favorite aspect of flintknapping.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 11:00:39 am »
Yeah, Allyn.  It was fun to take my time with it and learn some new tricks.  Holding and supporting the weight differently, where to apply pressure, different striking directions.  Definitely different than just knapping the spalls and flakes.
1’—>1’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 12:57:55 pm »
Looking good Steve.

My cousin brought back some of that Ocala chert a couple winters ago. I worked some raw. Made a couple crude points. Never did get around to heat treating any of it. I’ll be checking in to see how you do.

That’s pretty cool you got Eddie’s kiln.

Did you get his microwave with the holes in the side for heating bows?lol

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 03:14:37 pm »
Parnell, looks like your haveing some fun, some of that grey rough stuff looks like Tallahatta sp. I bought out an older gentleman an got a couple of pcs of it, looks like hard sugar and dang tuff. Bob