Author Topic: Birdie Butcher: A Flu-Flu Wild Rose Arrow  (Read 2399 times)

Offline blindarcher

Birdie Butcher: A Flu-Flu Wild Rose Arrow
« on: January 31, 2022, 03:47:26 pm »
I am sharing pictures of a Flu-Flu arrow I made from Wild Rose.  The intent of the arrow is to annihilate poor birdies or small game, as depicted by the arrowhead I made for it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Birdie Butcher: A Flu-Flu Wild Rose Arrow
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 06:10:31 pm »
Might work for a turkey

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 11:29:48 pm »
I wouldn't mind some details on the head.  I keep thinking of making something more primitive than my Bullhead turkey arrows. 

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 07:28:50 am »
Awesome arrow. I love the ingenuity on the head!
Bellaire, MI

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 01:38:27 pm »
I believe that would do the trick!  I'd be interested to know more, about those heads, too.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 03:36:40 pm »
Cool arrow and head. I don't think I'd use them on turkeys though. Doesn't look like you would get that head through the turkey's feathers but for other birds and small game they would be devastating. If you did head shots it would work for turkeys.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 02:57:53 pm »
Pat,

You are absolutely correct about using it for a headshot on a turkey.  I agree anywhere else may not do the trick.  It may work for other small game birds.  Funny thing, I do not hunt so this was just an experiment in seeing if I could actually make the arrowhead.  It is basically 2 pieces of stainless plate steel, both slotted to fit each other.  I heat treated each separately and while still hot I fit them together using Gap Filling (medium) Cyanoacrylate glue to seal the deal.  I don't know the science behind the chemistry, but the combination of hot parts along with the glue effectively welded the two pieces together.  I tried really hard to separate them but could not.  The arrow shaft was then slotted to receive the point.  The point was installed with artificial sinew and epoxy.  It's not going anywhere.  Including the backside of each prong, there are eight edges that can be sharpened.  I single beveled these edges.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 04:47:48 pm »
Nice looking arrow

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 07:23:26 am »
Great work with the broadhead. I don't think I've seen anything like that before! Have you shot it yet? How did it fare?
Bellaire, MI

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 11:01:11 am »
I have not shot it yet.  It was simply an experiment to see if I could make it.  I guess the true proof of the pudding would be to shoot it.  I would need to conjure up a relevant target.  I do not hunt.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 06:30:12 pm »
That looks perfect for breaking down amazon boxes for recycling, they never notice the field tips. >:D