Author Topic: Sinew  (Read 4033 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Sinew
« on: February 04, 2022, 06:11:19 pm »
OK, you guys have been holding out on me.  Sinew is fun stuff!  Nature's duct tape.

I've been pounding up a bunch of buffalo tendons.  It's quite a bit of work, but kind of relaxing and rather therapeutic.  Long-term beating the daylights out of something after a hard day at work?  Sign me up.  And wow, it's actually fun to work with!  I'm mostly going to be backing bows with it, but I've done a couple arrow fletches just for fun.  I love that I can just pop a string in my mouth, get it wet, wrap it around, and it stick to itself with no need for a knot.  (I've always reinforced self-nocks and tied on fletchings with silk thread, and tying it in place is by far the most time consuming part)

I also used a strand to stick together a broken arrow, again just for fun.  Then I broke it again to see what would happen.  The wood alongside the sinew broke, but the sinew didn't budge.  This is some stout stuff!  Fun to work with too.  Can't wait to get some on a bow back.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 10:51:34 pm »
Sinew is the best for arrow wraps for the reasons you mentioned. Your saliva and the sinew makes its own glue. All I do after it dries well is seal it with pitch varnish(pitch dissolved in alcohol). It only takes a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate leaving a smooth waterproof seal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 03:41:53 am »
After Chewing and applying, when dry I cheat Pat. A quick coat of Tite Bond II waterproofs it well . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 08:05:51 am »
I use it for lots of stuff. Even on the farm. It also shrinks down and gets really good and tight. Keep it dry and it’s very impressive what it can hold together.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 08:18:10 am »
Try using it sewing brain tan sometime too.No need for a knot.You can cut through a sewing line and it does'nt unravel.
I do use a no. 10 sharps needle though.Kind of cheating.
Just keep the length moist now and then while sewing and it'll suck the leather seam up tight when it dries.
I like using back strap sinew for this.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 09:32:07 pm »
Yep great stuff, I keep a strip of back strap sinew in my tool box all the time, use it for all sorts of projects, I save all I can get , it don’t go bad and got to come off back strap anyway to make it fit to eat, don’t save much leg sinew but it’s great also, just shorter. 😉 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 08:55:16 am »
OK, you guys have been holding out on me.  Sinew is fun stuff!  Nature's duct tape.

I've been pounding up a bunch of buffalo tendons.  It's quite a bit of work, but kind of relaxing and rather therapeutic.  Long-term beating the daylights out of something after a hard day at work?  Sign me up.  And wow, it's actually fun to work with!  I'm mostly going to be backing bows with it, but I've done a couple arrow fletches just for fun.  I love that I can just pop a string in my mouth, get it wet, wrap it around, and it stick to itself with no need for a knot.  (I've always reinforced self-nocks and tied on fletchings with silk thread, and tying it in place is by far the most time consuming part)

I also used a strand to stick together a broken arrow, again just for fun.  Then I broke it again to see what would happen.  The wood alongside the sinew broke, but the sinew didn't budge.  This is some stout stuff!  Fun to work with too.  Can't wait to get some on a bow back.
I would call sinew as mother natures FG myself as it's very tough resilient stuff.
Just like bamboo arrow shafts are mother natures carbon arrow shafts.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:03:02 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 12:03:47 pm »
Just got the word from the ranch:  Their processor saved the back sinew from two adult bison for me.  They're going to charge me $20 for the lot.  Um, I think I can handle that, yeah.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 03:29:32 pm »
Good deal.You can get close to 30" long strands from them.
I finished up a bow a while ago last fall and for the third course I used 225 grains worth that was 28" long.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 06:34:21 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 01:17:28 pm »
OK, question:  I cleaned it up as well as I could, but this was a fat buf and the dried sinew is a bit greasy, enough to leave a sheen on my fingers when I wipe them across.  I'm assuming I need to degrease this stuff.  What's the best way?  Scrub with ashes?  Rinse in soapy water?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 02:18:37 pm »
I use Dawn dish soap with warm, not hot water then lay them flat on wax paper to dry unless you plan to use it right away then just use it after washing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 03:04:13 pm »
Yep that way will always work.It's ok to use warm water to clean it.As long as the water is'nt above 115 to 120 degrees F.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 03:54:01 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 06:17:23 pm »
OK, thanks, guys.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour