Author Topic: Bulbous nock for pinch grip  (Read 2222 times)

Black Moshannon

Bulbous nock for pinch grip
« on: February 04, 2022, 10:48:27 pm »
Does anyone make bulb nocked arrows for a pinch grip type release? I’ve recently begun shooting this way. I have made a couple different types I’m trying out. Mine are around 1/2 inch diameter by 3/4 long bulb end. I’ll post the photos when I get home. Curious to see what others are doing.

Black Moshannon

Re: Bulbous nock for pinch grip
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 06:32:30 pm »
Here's some of my nocks I've been playing around with so far.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 12:59:10 am »
I don’t make bulbous nocks my my pinch grip shooting.  I do wrap my nocks to reinforce them with thread or sinew.  But I feel no need to make a bulb just to hold the arrow.  I shoot pinch grip with slim carbon arrows and plastic nocks just as well as my 5/16” dowel arrows

Black Moshannon

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 08:22:46 pm »
I don’t make bulbous nocks my my pinch grip shooting.  I do wrap my nocks to reinforce them with thread or sinew.  But I feel no need to make a bulb just to hold the arrow.  I shoot pinch grip with slim carbon arrows and plastic nocks just as well as my 5/16” dowel arrows

I could see that working. When I was first messing with I didn’t have any and it was working ok. I think the bulb makes it a little more comfortable and ergonomic. I wonder if the pinch serves not so much of an actual pull but more to secure the top of the arrow, while the fingers underneath provide the pulling strength.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 02:16:43 pm »
My thumb is just used to secure the arrow and keep it from falling off my hand.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 01:18:50 am »
Here's some of my nocks I've been playing around with so far.

The method of attachment reminded me of an unusual method, perhaps Persian, of nocking an arrow described in an old book.
They fitted the string with a sort of bead with a cone shaped plug that fit into a hole drilled in the base of the arrow.
A round bead with a concave mating surface was also used.
Theory is this made their spent arrows practically unuseable by an enemy.
Of course one might still fire these arrows using a pinch draw of the type used by some Native Americans who used nockless arrows.
Either way a pinch grip of some sort would be necessary to maintain control of the arrow while drawing.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 02:44:00 am »
That pretty interesting. Luckily I don’t have to worry about anyone firing mine back at me lol. I glue those nocks inserts into the hollow arrow, or for the Surewood shaft arrows I made a hollow nock that glues on over.