Author Topic: Successful Point  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Allen7

Successful Point
« on: May 15, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »
Sweet success!  I finally made a large point I am proud of using traditional methods.   Yeah!!  It is about 5 7/8 inches long, translucent, with one diagonal black stripe.  I have really been struggling with anything over about 3 inches.   Typically I have problems with end fractures where the front 1/3 breaks off.   This is only the second large one I have finished.   The first one was not as refined - as I was afraid go any further.   This one took about 1 hour 45 minutes from starting with nodule to finish.   Large reduction was done using hammerstone, then switched to small copper bopper, and finally copper pressure flaker.   Flake scars are fairly random due to shaping efforts.   The hardest part was eliminating the curve.   I am a very happy knapper today!

Allen  - Happy Knapper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Successful Point
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:23:55 pm »
 :) :) :) Great Job!!  Good symmetry.  Can you show a side view picture?  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:16:01 pm »
Nice point. Those long ones are tough to get finished without end shocking them into two pieces.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline flecha

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:32:24 pm »
Way cool man!!! Thanks for sharing your success.  I know it makes me happy to see your good work.  That is a long point.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:05:45 pm »
wow man that is great, nice spear point there ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:23:18 pm »
Wow, great job!
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:17:58 pm »
  You can't ask for anything better than that, nice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:22:40 pm »
Wow Allen! That's nice! Keeper for sure, bet you truly are a happy knapper ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:44:32 pm »
thanks for making me completely sick ;D  thats a beautiful point, really really nice- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:29:08 am »
That looks great....I guess it's time for me to dive into that Pile of Flint I have all the way around my Pond in the Back Yard!!! I have to try sometime....can not keep giving it all away!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 01:07:48 am »
Very nice.  The longest I've been able to manage so far is about three inches long.  Once again, great job.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

bushytail

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:55:29 pm »
Good job! But what are you going to kill wih that?What ever it is ,it has to be a BIG animal.You may have to wait until caveman season opens up.So you can wear your wordrobe and spear yourself a Sabortooth tiger.Just kidding around.You did a find job with that.

Dingleberry

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:23:16 pm »
Excellent job and great perseverance.  I nope to make to that stage at some point.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 02:55:45 am »
Way to go man. I hope one day to get some material big enough to have an end product like that
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Allen7

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 03:57:46 pm »
Thanks for the support.  Sorry, I never got a side view photo of the point.   I no longer have it, as I used it a trade item.    I'll make some others after I get more material.   Most of my remaining rocks are too small.  Gives me an excuse to go back to Glass Buttes soon.   This time I'll bring my own digging tools.

Allen  -   Happy Knapper