Author Topic: I just like the 2 fletch.  (Read 2689 times)

Offline aznboi3644

I just like the 2 fletch.
« on: February 12, 2022, 05:02:37 am »
I don’t have much access to turkey feathers unless a friend remembers to not leave the wings and tail in the field.  So I fletch mostly with goose feathers.  I’m a simple man and don’t care to cut and grind feathers down. I fletch with a pocket knife and scissors. 

Waiting to make some time to make some trade points to put on these and see how they fly. 

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: I just like the 2 fletch.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 10:04:30 am »
Looks nice can't wait to see them finished

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 10:55:13 am »
the next arrows i make i plan to try this.
Don

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 03:35:02 pm »
That’ll work. I should probably use goose to. I have in the past. I have pretty good access to either.

Just curious. Have you ever shot them without any fletch first to see how they fly? When I make arrows I usually fletch them last. I like to shot them bare shaft first to see if I should change anything.

The first time I shot one bare shaft for me was a huge eye opener

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 12:11:30 am »
I ordered a 20 piece bundle of wild turkey tail feathers from a Chinese vendor. Free shipping but takes a month or more to get here at best.

When I made my first arrows I used a two feather fletching from Turkey feathers given me by a neighbor who raised turkeys. These were uncommonly accurate arrows compared to store bought arrows. I used viburnum shafts cut from my own hedge. I put a strong spiral on these.

I have some good viburnum shoots I cut many years ago. It they aren't brittle with age I'll use them now.
First I'm going to re do the fletchings of some carbon shafts and three older Easton aluminum shafts in the same manner.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 01:42:20 am »
Bjrogg no I don’t do any bareshaft shooting. I really just hand flex the shafts and get a feel for them.  Then I just fletch them and shoot them and set the bad fliers aside.  I know I should bareshaft tune but I’m just a little lazy on that part. 

On that note I still feel confident on taking a deer at 15 yards with my bow and arrow setup

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 09:14:19 am »
Azn I’m pretty lazy to. I’m sure you do a pretty good job by hand flexing. I’m sure they fly good and your right. After awhile you get a feel for hand flexing and can get right in the ballpark.

When I first started I didn’t have any idea how stiff or flexible of a shaft I needed. Or what length and point weight combination.

I made a spine tester and started experimenting. I rarely use it anymore, but I used it religiously until I did get a feel for what I needed.

As part of my routine I started fletching last and always shot them before I fletched them. It’s pretty simple and actually saves me work and arrows.

Usually I can make those bad fliers good ones pretty easy and all of them more consistent.

Not meaning to hi jack your thread or questions your work.

I just was curious if others made fletching last step and shooting bare shaft part of their routine.

Bjrogg

PS thanks for posting your arrows. I’m really liking the two fletch to.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 07:07:31 am »
I like the look and more simple set up of the 2 fletch.Arrows are time consuming though no matter how the process.I was wondering do you get a good rotation of the shaft after shooting?
I once took a half dozen of my well shooting bare shafts with me once not fletched while shooting a 3D course with my friends.They mostly shot carbides.It was an eye opener for them.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 07:42:12 am »
I made myself a tester as well. I also bare test each one.
Don

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 04:01:58 am »
Yes the arrows with a helical have a good rotation and fly well with broad heads. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 02:18:58 pm »
Ed my eyes aren’t good enough to see with my arrows. I did a Atlatl dart and used the same method to fletch my dart. Just a little bigger longer two fletch.

I was really surprised how much my dart rotated.

Bjrogg

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 01:56:12 pm »
Ill sometimes mess around the yard and just shoot 15-20 yards at say 8-10” draw.  The arrow lobs in an arc but it’s going so slow you can see the rotation very well.