Author Topic: Do I need to be annealing before hardening?  (Read 7216 times)

Offline Fox

Do I need to be annealing before hardening?
« on: February 14, 2022, 12:35:55 pm »
I usually Normalize 3 times, by heating past critical then letting air cool, then harden in canola oil, then temper.

I got some 1084 and 1075. Can I use this same process or should I anneal too? should I get dry ice for cryo? is the benefits from that minimal with 1084? im finding lots of conflicting info as always on the internet.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Morgan

Re: Do I need to be annealing before hardening?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 01:15:29 pm »
No experience with cryo, but I just normalize a few times before hardening a forged blade. It seems to lessen warps and cracks for me. If doing stock removal with good bought steel of a known quality, I don’t normalize, I just go straight to the quench. The steel I buy is annealed soft and hasn’t been heated repeatedly and beat on. I’ve never had any issue doing it that way. A piece of rail clip or leaf spring that you’ve had to beat to death definitely benefits from normalization

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 05:59:10 pm »
No experience with cryo, but I just normalize a few times before hardening a forged blade. It seems to lessen warps and cracks for me. If doing stock removal with good bought steel of a known quality, I don’t normalize, I just go straight to the quench. The steel I buy is annealed soft and hasn’t been heated repeatedly and beat on. I’ve never had any issue doing it that way. A piece of rail clip or leaf spring that you’ve had to beat to death definitely benefits from normalization

I do exactly the same.
Don

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 10:10:47 pm »
Okay thanks guys

Offline TRiggs

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 03:40:23 pm »
You can find all the info you need for quench and temper at Alpha Knife Supply just look up the steel your using and it's all there.
American Blade Smith Apprentice

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 01:12:23 am »
You can find all the info you need for quench and temper at Alpha Knife Supply just look up the steel your using and it's all there.

Thats where I ordered from TRiggs from Your advice earlier, they are a super nice company... There isn't heat treat info on the 1084 yet though..

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 03:22:45 pm »
Do you know if it is hot or cold rolled?  I'm learning there can be a substantial difference.

On second thought, it may not matter since you are repeatedly heating it so high.

Offline WavingHandsForge

• Sharp and pointy
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 08:46:08 pm »
You won't see much of a difference with cryo on simple carbons like 1084, 1075, and 1095. Best bet for a harder blade would be to use quench oils like parks 50 or AAA from Jantz. Thermocycling or normalizing should be in increments of hotter to colder than non-megnetic for quench. Theres an app for a cell phone simply called "heat treat". You can plug in the steel type then base temperature off of color with a color chart on Google and it'll get you pretty close. Hopefully this helps!

Jarrod

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 10:51:42 pm »
Thanks! that is helpful