Author Topic: Anybody into footing shafts?  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anybody into footing shafts?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 07:04:34 pm »
I've used loose nocks for 30 years or more. Probably not for everyone but it works fine for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 01:12:27 am »
The subject of loose nocks reminded me of a method for tightening up the fit of an SMLE fore end to the rear of the action body.
A Canadian match shooter tightened his by drilling holes in from the outside and gluing dowel rods in to prevent wriggle under recoil.

I'm thinking that small holes drilled from each side of the nock with small hardwood rods with rounded tips glued in or one rod that you could cut and trim for best fit might do the trick. Just enough to prevent the nock from jumping the string.

Might be a good way to correct the fit if you found a replacement bowstring was not as thick in the serving as the too heavy string the arrows had been used with for months.
When I replaced the string of my Bearcat I found the arrows I had were a loose fit at the nock, it felt like the string was slapping the arrows butt when loosed and occasionally one would slip off the string before I drew it. The plastic nocks were a bit flimsey anyway, and had spread with use on the thicker string, so I warmed them up and squeezed them a bit to tighten them. I later retired the remainder of that batch and bought two dozen new arrows that fit fine.

Of course it might be simpler just to add a layer of serving.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 08:23:48 am »
and I prefer a loose nock.

I've never tried loose nocks. Why do you prefer them? I suppose now I'll have to try it.
Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 08:30:01 am »
True Ghost.
That's why I'm not a fan interchanging some one elses' arrows to my string and visa versa.
I make my serving exactly the same thickness as my self nocks.
Plastic nocks fit way too tight on my serving.
When making self nocks to fit on my strings I use a short identical section as my string as a fitting jig to know when I've got them correct.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 08:35:49 am »
Don, it's just something I've always done with self nocks...like nocking the arrow above the nocking point, I've always done it. Plastic nocks were always too tight even though they can be opened with hot water and a little pressure. Plus, I have had plastic nocks break but never a self nock. That's when I'd dry fire.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 08:48:47 am »
Never been a fan of plastic nocks either for a number of reasons.
The only reason I see why people use them is because of convenience when making arrow shafts.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:01:15 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2022, 09:40:24 am »
I agree, Ed. The only plastic nocks I liked were called(Mercury)Speed Nocks which has a loose fit but they are still plastic. Self nocks rule and look cool too. Might be as little more time and work but who's counting.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 01:41:34 pm by Pat B »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2022, 03:09:29 pm »
I've messed around with footing with PH, walnut, and others on and off and have had mixed success.  Same with insert, self, and plastics knocks.  My favorite knock is defiantly the insert/self knock, but I've shot out a few to many in crowded targets, and they can't always be easily fixed.  For utility arrows I just use classic plastic knocks because they are cheap, easy, and consistent.  Also, I've never broken one on the string.  When they get hit with other arrows you can just remove and replace them.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 10:42:19 pm »
I’ve just recently starting messing around with the 4 finger footing, messed around with building a jog to do it. Still working on getting it to look good as far as getting the shaft worked down. Not sure if there’s a benefit to it other than looking nice and just something else to learn to do.

As far as knocks, since it’s easy to reenforce all my knocks now. But I like a firm fit, no snap, but not loose.
Eric

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 02:11:41 pm »
Plus, I have had plastic nocks break but never a self nock. That's when I'd dry fire.
That's why I started doing self-nocks.  They just last longer and they're more dependable.  I tend to do mine loose, too.  They're easier to make and don't cause any problems if you are aware that they're loose.  I could only see them being a problem if you're used to pinch nocks...that could get ugly.   ;D  I don't do a lot of walking around with an arrow on the string, and when I do I just keep a bow-hand finger over the arrowshaft to keep it from falling off. 
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline freke

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2022, 03:31:59 pm »
I am not up to footing, at least not as nice as the one you do.
But I repair arrows with a kind of footing by simply do a single cut in a fixture and add a broken arrow as tippet and I found this easy and fast repair but it do not look as good as real footing with contrasting darker wood

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2022, 10:02:43 am »
Good fix and hope it holds up for you.Personally I just make another shaft.
Split timber shafts alone need good straight grain.Even when putting footings on them.
I never need to foot shoot shafts as they are already full length tapered and IMO are noticeably tougher than most all split timber shafts.
BowEd
Ed

Offline freke

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2022, 12:22:47 pm »
Good fix and hope it holds up for you.Personally I just make another shaft.
Split timber shafts alone need good straight grain.Even when putting footings on them.
I never need to foot shoot shafts as they are already full length tapered and IMO are noticeably tougher than most all split timber shafts.

I was really skeptic to this when I started but I needed a easy way to extend life although 90% of my reparations are nocks, and I repair an inch (+5" overlap) at most  but I have not had any failure.