Author Topic: Tiller Check and Advice  (Read 2730 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tiller Check and Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 09:51:02 pm »
I do like bownarra and flip my tips earlier. One other tip. My first recurve I got fooled by the early string tension and thought my bow was heavier than it really was. It came in under weight.

I’d just soak it with super glue

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 01:54:57 am »
Yes that happened because the edged were far too sharp.
To bend a recurve safely.
1 - soak the tips in water for a few days (not strictly necessary but boy does it make a difference)
2 - chase the belly to one ring
3 - round all edges
4 - boil for 30 mins per 1/2" thickness (whole tip underwater)
5 - move fast!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 01:40:24 pm »
OK, dumb question:  Is "flipping the tips" the same thing as "bending in recurves"?  I hear that term used a lot, but nobody's ever spelled it out for me.  (I'm in the slow-learners' class)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Zugul

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 02:21:12 pm »
I'm not an expert, but I'd say "flipping the tips" is adding a smaller curve to the tips then "bending in recurves", but wait for an answer from a more experienced bowyer

Offline Piddler

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 05:36:11 pm »
Ok fellas, gave it the CA thin today. Should be OK. Gonna let it heal and rehydrate a bit. I'll have to dry heat some of my alignment back in as it changed a bit with the boiling.
bjrogg, I'll do the next ones earlier than this one. bownarra has the same recommendation. Tillering just seemed to happen fast and I'll watch the weight close when I get back at it.
bownarra, Thanks lots of good info. Things from your list. 1: I did NOT pre-soak limbs. good suggestion, 2: It was on one ring so good there. 3: I had forgot to round these edges. I did round the other side and it did not split guess I forgot or got in a hurry. Good lesson there although painful. 4: I did boil for 30 min. 5: I moved fast but I'm wondering if not too fast on the bend. Does one kind of work it in or just go for it. I bent it faster than the other side.
I'm gonna lay most of the blame on not rounding the edges. I knew better just didn't do better. Like the presoak idea though. I bent some before on a short black locust and didn't have any issues. Gonna have to finish that one someday.
Whistling Badger, Zugul, I'm gonna call them small recurved tips but Not positive of the correct terminology either. The more I learn the less I figure out I know. Heck I'm still struggling with draw length determination and been shooting bows for a long time they all just had wheels. Seems it would change with every handle section depth. Isn't it something like 1 3/4" forward of grip area. Kind of in the slow learner class as well Badger. Oh well.
To all the people new to this craft, some good tips here from people who have the experience and knowledge.
Thanks for the tips guys.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Piddler

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2022, 07:27:01 pm »
Well gonna show a photo of the small recurved tips. Let it heal a day or so get it straightened up and be back at it.
Piddler

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2022, 08:38:34 pm »
Looking good. 😉 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Piddler

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2022, 01:23:19 pm »
That photo is quite distorted for some reason. It's normal when clicking on the attachment though.
Piddler

Offline Piddler

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 07:23:11 pm »
Hope this doesn't post twice couldn't get the first reply to work.
Anyway, Got back to the bow. Lost some weight trying to get some limb twist out that I wasn't paying attention too till to late. It's currently just a hair under #50 at 26". Seems I don't pull but to 26 anyway so not biggie. I have made a couple scrapes mid bottom limb after the photo but nothing drastic. Seems at this stage a little goes a long way. Hope the photos aren't distorted had to resize a lot.
Also, Tips are still a bit over 1/2" at the tip. Any idea how thin I can get them before they start bending. Thickness is a  bit under 1/2" and what is a good way to watch for movement.
Thanks,
Piddler

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 07:28:52 am »
Looks pretty darn good bud.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2022, 07:43:33 am »
I agree with Ed. Looks pretty darn good.

As far as how much you can thin the tips. I usually keep stiff area of static’s just slightly thicker than bending area of limbs just before the stiff area. As I move closer to the tips and recurves I thin them in a slight tapper much like the working limb portion. They like the limbs will have less stress as you move to the tips.

A couple things to remember though. Don’t get to thin on one side so your tips twist. It’s better to have a little extra weight than to have them unstable and twisting. At least till you get a feel for it I would suggest you error on the side of overbuilt.

Looks like a shooter to me

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2022, 09:00:15 am »
Looks very good to me, nice job.  :BB
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2022, 09:56:30 am »
Looks good, Piddler!
1’—>1’

Offline Piddler

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2022, 01:25:30 pm »
Thanks for the help, advice and kind comments fellas. Appreciate the comments on the tips bjrogg. I took them down just a little but are as you say probably overbuilt. I didn't get carried away though so may lose a little speed. Fair trade off I reckon. The reflex seems to amplify any limb twist and already had that fight don't want another round.
I'll get it finished up. Thanks again.
Piddler