Author Topic: WOW is all I can say  (Read 8764 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
WOW is all I can say
« on: February 20, 2022, 07:28:20 pm »
As some know I have wanted a flint lock ever since I shot a good friend of mine's 45 flint lock at the cabin, I wanted a 32 or at least a small bore gun for small game hunting and squirrels , Well Saturday that good friend gifted me one, he laughed and said he knew I was to tight to ever buy one and to old to learn how to do it myself. ???I helped Matt build his first self bow about 20 years ago.The cool story is it came from Eric Krewson, also a good friend, Small world, I had seen a post by Eric about a big gun show and that he was going to meet a guy that wanted one of his guns, I didn't know it was Matt. Matt said once he told Eric it was for me he threw in a lot of stuff to get me started, man I am so humbled by this and really just don't know what to say except Thanks, the gun is a beauty that is for sure and i know i will have many days of fun with it while I learn how to use it. Matt is coming down tomorrow to get me started and show me some things I need to know to shoot and care for it. It is a treasure for sure and will be in my family forever. Thanks Gus many thanks.
 Pappy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 08:26:36 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: WOW is all I can say
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 07:48:32 pm »
Now that is a cool story and a nice rifle.  :OK

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 10:30:39 pm »
As some know I have wanted a flint lock ever since I shot a good friend of mine at the cabin, I wanted a 32 or at least a small bore gun for small game hunting and squirrels , Well Saturday that good friend gifted me one, he laughed and said he knew I was to tight to ever buy one and to old to learn how to do it myself. ???I helped Matt build his first self bow about 20 years ago.The cool story is it came from Eric Krewson, also a good friend, Small world, I had seen a post by Eric about a big gun show and that he was going to meet a guy that wanted one of his guns, I didn't know it was Matt. Matt said once he told Eric it was for me he threw in a lot of stuff to get me started, man I am so humbled by this and really just don't know what to say except Thanks, the gun is a beauty that is for sure and i know i will have many days of fun with it while I learn how to use it. Matt is coming down tomorrow to get me started and show me some things I need to know to shoot and care for it. It is a treasure for sure and will be in my family forever. Thanks Gus many thanks.
 Pappy

Uh, Pappy, are you going to need an attorney?

You look about as mountain man as they come holding that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 10:38:21 pm »
Yep , maybe 🤔type error, I am good at that 😉Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 07:28:17 am »
Cool story.Good things happen to good people.You've got the hides fix yourself up too.
That gun looks about as long as you are tall.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 08:18:19 am »
Yes Ed it is, not sure if that is a good or bad thing but feels good in my hand, haven't shot it yet but holding and aiming , it seems to be very stable. We will see this morning.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 08:33:51 am »
I just saw this, A special gun for a special guy. It is an honor to build this gun and have it end up as yours.

For those how can't tell it is a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle in .32. Here is the rifle just after I finished putting it together.

The tendency for new flintlock shooters is to over fill the pan with priming powder, on that SMR it likes just about 1/3 of a pan full, I polished all the lock internals and that lock was very fast when I tested the rifle.

Like I told Matt, southern rifles with the deep hook buttplate are shouldered a the top of your bicep and not on your shoulder like a modern gun. When you throw it up to that position you will see how natural that feels opposed to putting it on you shoulder.

When I posted that I planned on selling the rifle a M/L site I had a bunch of folk willing to drive up to 9 hours to buy it, one guy even offered me a lot more than I was asking if I would sell it out from under the other guys who where ahead of him on the buyers list. You guys who know me know I don't operate that way, Matt was first on the list. Buyer #2  was standing next to us when I handed the rifle to Matt, he was there in case Matt decided he didn't want the rifle.

I sold the rifle because it had the sight dovetails cut for a normal person, with my 74 year old eyes the rear sight was too blurry for me to see. I could have cut another dovetail and moved the rear sight forward but the rifle was stunning looking in my opinion and cutting another dovetail and filling in the old dovetail would look like an ugly wart on a super models nose.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 08:57:06 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 08:59:57 am »
Karma for sure. Good things come to Good People. Enjoy your rifle. It sure is a nice one!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 01:31:13 pm »
Another thing; you can prime and load the gun with the the 3F I gave you, 4F to prime isn't necessary.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 05:15:52 pm »
Thanks , shot it today and man it shoots good and goes off without hesitation, only problem I had was the set trigger, it sometimes didn’t want to set but I think we got that worked out with a little adjustment , if not I will pm you Eric and I am sure you will walk me through it. Matt showed me all his stuff and I have enough stuff to shoot and clean but can see a lot of little projects in my future. Thanks again Eric, I love it, beautiful work. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 08:01:28 pm »
If you back the screw out too (or is it too far in?) far the trigger won't set, you can fire it off the front trigger as well unset just a higher poundage pull.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 08:57:33 am »
Ya I shot it off the front trigger Eric, it is pretty stiff but I think we got the set trigger working, very light pull then and I am not very good with a rifle and need all the help I can get. I can say my first shot with this one was just out of a 3 inch circle at about 40 yards , so not bad at all for me and that wasn't resting the gun on a bench. I think with a little work I can get pretty good with it. I do need to measure and find some more flint, Matt said he would tell me where to get it , he ordered a few things I need but didn't get the flint so I need to look into that.I talked to Jesse about making me some but he said that was a whole other skill. I told him he needed to learn it . :) :) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 09:29:22 am »
You have the correct rifle for the part of the world that you live in Mark. You will find many hours of fun shooting that little rifle, no kick and cheap to shoot. Next thing you know you will be shooting one of these ground pounders that I shoot. The more of those rifles that you see and hold the more that you will see the simple beauty in them the same as a selfbow. These is so much more that goes into a selfbow and a flintlock that people don't realize until the dig in a little deeper.
That's the style of rifle that I killed my mountain lion with.

Have fun!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 09:34:14 am »
Broken arrowheads work great for flints, I tried one. Your knappers could easily make all you need. I can't make an arrow head but had no problem making a few gun flints out of some spalled off flakes, they don't have to be perfect like the pros make. Some chirt or flint sparks well some doesn't.

I have a file driven into piece of log to work gunflints on, I made a gun flint hammer out of a file as well like seen in the video. My problem is getting any good stuff to work so I end up buying gun flints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzi9ksSn-ZQ&t=40s

Here is how they did it on a commercial level years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPEoiY3NnI
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:40:24 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Stoker

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 10:19:27 am »
Great story. Nice gesture from your friends. You will love that rifle as they are a lot of fun
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano