Author Topic: Hunting with Bone Points  (Read 2706 times)

Offline blindarcher

Hunting with Bone Points
« on: March 02, 2022, 11:59:58 am »
Hi All!  Does anyone hunt with bone points?  If so, which states allow it?

Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hunting with Bone Points
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 12:41:51 pm »
I've never hunted with a bone point but I know folks that have successfully.  You should check with the states G&F you plan to hunt to see if they allow bone head hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 03:19:49 pm »
Has to be steel in Wyoming.  It's a shame--bone points can get pretty sharp, and they seem to take less skill to make than stone.   :-K
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 11:07:20 am »
Badger, I wouldn't mention bone specifically, but pitch the idea of using stone points to your Game and Fish Commission.

I got New Mexico to drop both the metal cutting edge and  arbitrary 7/8" width requirements.   Used a well written argument that included links to sources discussing obsidian as being so sharp they use it for brain surgery scalpals.   As well as hunters successfully taking game with stone points for 10's of thousands of years. Throw in a comment about Native American heritage benefiting from cultural heritage, too, sometimes there's a soft spot for that.  Also linked to videos showing stone to be just as effective as steel.

So now the regs read "broadheads must have cutting edges." 

Worst they can do is say no...and then you save the info snd try again next year  ;D

Been bugging them twice a year for 4 years now for a traditional only archery season...this isn't yet going over as well  :(
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-