Author Topic: Youth bow recommendations  (Read 849 times)

Offline chasonhayes

Youth bow recommendations
« on: March 05, 2022, 11:26:15 am »
I am making some bows for the boys in the neighborhood. Please advise on how to obtain the proper measurements for draw length, draw weight and subsequent bow dimensions (length, width grip etc) that are appropriate. The first is for an 11 year old. I am planning on using a pyramid design and I have white oak staves. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Offline bassman211

Re: Youth bow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 03:38:22 pm »
I used carbonized bamboo floor boards to make better than a dozen of them for cubs scouts, and a few for the kids in the neighbor hood. 50 to 52 inches long 1/3/8 at the fades to 1/2 at the tips. Then tillered them to the poundage I wanted. From 15 to 25 lbs. Durable ,and easy to make. My boards were 36 inches, so I had to v splice the middle,and add a handle, and I made an arrow shelf for each bow. That was the hardest part. I have made them with short staves too, but more work over all.

Offline chasonhayes

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 04:51:47 pm »
thanks

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 09:56:16 pm »
I'm preparing to try making a child sized bow for one of the neighbor kids.
He may be about ten or eleven but is not much igger than an 8 year old. The kids are half Cambodian and all were very tiny till the three oldest reached their teens and began really growing up.

Anyway I found I had a 36" slat of Red Oak in my junk box, been there for around 15 years. It seems springy enough.
I was also figuring on a pyramid style bow.
This child is on the weak side,and I figure even a 15 pound draw at maybe 20" would be good enough.

Is it doable?