Author Topic: Getting good at making gravel  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Buckskinner

Getting good at making gravel
« on: March 10, 2022, 10:20:28 am »
Well, I tweaked my shoulder a couple weeks ago, so I haven't been resting it from tillering so decided to give knapping a shot. Bought some dacite from Flintknapping Supplies, watched a bunch of videos and started breaking rocks.  I know Bjrogg said this sport is very humbling and man was he right, hardest thing I've tried to do with my hands.  I am in awe of the points that some of you guys are putting out!   

I've been watching the videos, it all makes sense, I can predict where next hit will be and how to hit it and it look so easily.  Then I grab a rock and eventually make a pile of gravel, although I feel I'm getting better with every rock I destroy.  I've been able to make some trinket heads, big clunking things and nothing that you could hunt with.  Trying to thin them is making me crazy by the way...  The 2 that are thin below came from flakes, so kind of cheating.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Getting good at making gravel
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:52:25 am »
Keep at it Buckskinner.

I agree. For me it’s the most difficult skill  I have ever learned by far. When you start making your gravel into something your getting somewhere.

Even when you know exactly what you need to do. You still have to do it exactly right.

Believe me. I still break points all the time

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 01:41:35 pm »
dacite is a good material.. I practiced on old tv tubes and toilet tank lids.. some ceramic tiles.. very therapeutic breaking rock ..everybody makes small rocks out of big rocks.. you will get it.. warning.. it can be addicting ...its not cheating to make heads from flakes either..  gut

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 07:43:22 am »
Lol I have found no matter how much I read and "understand" doing it is a whole nother ball game! It is super fun though and it is the best feeling when you predict how the flake will go and then it actually does it. I've had a book by DC Waldorf for 2 years and every time I read it I understand a little more of what he is saying.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 08:32:16 am »
It is fun and frustrating at the same time.  I had a real nice piece going last night and had a marginal shot at getting a nice sized flake off of the center and I said to myself out loud "this is where I break it in half".  It broke and I learned something! :-K

I saw a video of a guy using primarily indirect percussion, I'm playing with that a bit.  Do you guys use that method?

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 08:57:37 am »
I just started trying it, it def has potential but I think it's like anything else use it when you should and don't rely on it completely. A lot of the knappers I talk to use whatever they are most comfortable with.

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 07:50:01 pm »
I got my best point yet this afternoon.  It's still too thick and has some symmetry issues, but pretty happy that I didn't break it!  I primarily used indirect percussion on it and was able to drive much bigger flakes off throughout the process than other pressure or billet strikes.   Might be my go-to method, we will see. 

Ordered some more stock as well, wish there was a source around here.  I will take the ranger through the fields after they are plowed and see if I can find some workable material.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 08:20:00 pm »
I can see improvement.

It’s really hard for us farm boys to buy rock.

Dacite is pretty nice stuff to work.

I did like gut. I knapped anything I could. TV glass, wine bottle bottoms. I got some white glass counter top that really worked nice.

I have done a little local stuff I’ve found in our fields, but most of that stuff is pretty poor quality

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 07:49:25 am »
Lookin good Buckskinner. 

I have never had luck finding good local stuff in fields. Always has freeze cracks through it, but I'm sure Ill spend some time looking this year again. I would second the glass bottle bottoms tho.
Mike   

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 11:42:33 am »
Creek beds and fresh construction are the best for finding material. I prefer residential construction when they dig foundations.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 04:48:16 pm »
Looking good!  You know how ya get to Carnegie Hall, don’t ya?

PRACTICE! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 06:39:47 pm »
Practice and bandaids, I seem to bleed a lot with this hobby.  I tried wearing gloves, but I just don't have any feel with them on.

Was at my Mom's for lunch today and showed her a few that I made and she brought out some heads my Dad found along the river in one of our fields.  Interesting to see authentic artifacts, they were quite small and pretty thin, for small game and birds I assume.

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 11:31:42 am »
Founds some nice glass to practice on!  We are getting our kitchen redone and found some glass tile samples that my wife had, I commandeered them...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 01:10:01 pm »
Nice find Buckskinner.

Those will probably take a little different technique than the spalls you’ve been working. And the glass won’t be any better for your first aid kit inventory. Should help with the wallet though.

Might want to watch some videos on working slabs if you haven’t already. And especially with glass you need to abrade your edge so it’s strong enough to drive a long flake without crumbling.

Bjrogg