Author Topic: fire hardening  (Read 1156 times)

Offline bluejack

fire hardening
« on: March 11, 2022, 12:24:20 pm »
HELLO ALL, Would there be any advantage to fire hardening an osage bow the same way you would a whitewood bow ? THANKS,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: fire hardening
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 01:44:08 pm »
I don’t know.

Have heard some say Osage doesn’t really need or gain anything from heat treatments.

Give it a try and let us know

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 01:52:03 pm »
Fire hardening isn't as necessary with osage because it is already compression strong however it won't hurt anything to fire harden osage. When you use dry heat to make adjustments on osage you are also adding some fire hardening to it. Even though it isn't necessary with osage I still do my version of fire hardening though my method is not as drastic as with Marc St Louis' fire hardening method. I just add a little more heat all over while I'm adding reflex and/or making corrections.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 12:27:49 am »
In my experience with fire hardening osage over coals, it was too harsh and completely destroyed it. Cracked to pieces. I prefer a light heat treatment.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 07:25:45 am »
I have never had any intentions to fire harden Osage over coals, but that is good to know. I know  fire hardening works really well with oak, hickory, black gum, and elm. I use a heat gun to reflex, and straighten Osage, but never more than I need to. Amazing wood for self bows.