Author Topic: Where do you store your rock?  (Read 5945 times)

Offline episaacs

Where do you store your rock?
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:05:08 am »
I've been knapping for about one and a half years now, and as with every hobby I've taken up, I've bought lots of material to work with.  My basement is getting full of rock and I need to store it elsewhere.  I'm unsure if I should store it outdoors in the weather, but that seems like the obvious solution to me.  I would think it would take longer than my remaining life to weather to any significant degree; I'm 51.

Where do you store your rock?   ???

Offline n2everythg

Re: Where do you store your rock?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:14:57 am »
got a pile in the corner of the garage. another small pile outside in the corner of the patio under the steps.. anywere I can find a place that is kind of out of the way so the kids or dog doesnt get into it.
n2 
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:19:17 am »
The rocks that will knap a little better when wet, I leave outside.  If they still require some heat treating, I put them on a pallet in the shop.  The rest are kept in the shop.  My wife has some in the rock garden!!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:40:03 am »
I just started knapping a few months ago, so my stash is somewhat smaller in scale.  Right now it's in a 5 gallon bucket in my shop but I can see that at some point it will grow beyond that.  I've got a "big ol barn" (see El Destructo's post on what he learned while in Texas) that will hold lots of rocks and never be in the way. 

I think just so long as it's protected from the freeze/thaw cycle and ice wedging, you should be OK with it outside. 

Mike 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:46:31 am »
 I keep mine outside in the rock pile, I don't have to worry about ice. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:46:11 am »
Mines everywhere ;D. Have several trees outside with it piled up around their bases. The stuff I've heat treated stays in a bucket in the shop.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:07:09 pm »
Outside on the North side of the shed. Less thermal shock from hot and cold there. Its obsidian so I dont worry about it TOO much!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:54:09 pm »
                         All around and in my Pond for safe Keeping....got Chert...Jasper and tons of alibates too!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline redwasp

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:24:19 pm »
mines under my bed lol. but i use what i have as soon as i get it. the rubble goes in the creek. ;D
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 10:50:56 pm »
if any of you ever discover your prized piles of rock gone dont look at me ::) ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:56:16 pm »
Got a bucket and a box in the garage. Got a bucket on the back porch. Got a huge box full on the side of the house. Got a bunch in the planters around the yard.  Even got some behind the seat in the truck with tools just in case work gets to be more than I can stand.  ::) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah