Author Topic: Heat treating in roaster.  (Read 4307 times)

gutpile

Re: Heat treating in roaster.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 10:03:44 am »
I spoke with Elliot of go knapping yesterday.. he told me I could cook some georgetown in a turkey roaster. georgetown is already a lithic stone but you can increase it and change color by cooking bifaces. I might give it a try.  450 tops... 200 at 6 hours 40 degree increase an hour till 450... that is a low temp for most stone though.. gut

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 03:49:46 pm »
Yeah I was hoping it got hotter than that but so far it seems that if I soak it at full temp for a long time I get a good change. I cooked another Burlington batch last night turned it off this morning. 22hr cook time, we shall see how it turned out. If I can get the change I want at a lower temp just by cooking it longer I'll just stick with it and come up with my own recipes. I still haven't tried harvester yet.
In the woods I find my peace

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 09:51:33 am »
he also told me to layer it in sand.. gut

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 10:01:01 pm »
I haven't had anything pop a single time, no crazing either. I think that's what the sand is for. I've had some big thick pieces in there too

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 10:59:17 pm »
I also just turn it straight from 175 to 450 with no ramp up and when done I just turn it off and and leave it alone for about 10 hrs

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2022, 09:51:43 am »
he also told me pieces should be less than an inch thick.. my bifaces are lil over a 1/4 .. some are finished points and knife blades I just want to see what it does.. looking for a 120 volt small kiln too... might be best since I do have some other rock that needs higher temps..he said that those roasters are slow to increase too.. so 40 degrees an hour might be about what it does anyway...  .. you once said you had DC Waldorfs book.. I used to have one too.. can you send me a pic of the cook temp page...?..gut

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2022, 03:54:30 pm »
Yes I can, I'll send it on Instagram. When I tested the temp it went from room temp to 450 in about 20 min but the rock wouldn't get that hot that fast I don't think. I have cooked some pretty thick pieces and it seems to have worked all the way through.