Author Topic: "finished" a knife  (Read 6493 times)

Offline paulc

"finished" a knife
« on: March 17, 2022, 03:51:30 pm »
This knife is finished cause I need to cut my losses and move onto another project!  The problems have been many, not the least of which is that I can't get it to take an edge...I feel like I get real close.  But when I try to dress the other side I can easily run it across my palm with no risk of cutting myself :-(  I will keep trying to get an edge on it, and will likely replace the scales since I can see flex in the one when I squeeze the handle. 

The blade is an old hedge shear blade, scales are spalted oak.  The cutout in the one scale was supposed to land onto of the "forged" stamp in the blade but I somehow put the cut below the middle line instead of above the middle line.  And even though I test fit with pins the scales I somehow managed to miss the mark and drilled new holes....like I said-time to cut my losses. 

Finish is just a bunch of linseed oil...

Thanks, Paul

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: "finished" a knife
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 10:54:39 am »
Well, if it won't take an edge, call it a scraper!  Boom, done.   :OK   ;D  I like the look of it, anyway.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 08:49:59 am »
Sometimes if you the bevel is off on one side or the other it is hard to ever get an edge on it, may check that and even it up. Nice looking knife though, seems like with bows they all have their challenges , the more you make the more you learn how to deal with those challenges.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 08:57:17 pm »
Try to get an even grind on both sides of the blade, don't get in a hurry.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 04:07:58 pm »
I’m just looking from my phone. It almost looks like a different color metal streak running through it?
Is that by any chance high carbon and the rest isn’t? Can you orientate it on the edge?

Or maybe I’m seeing it all wrong.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline paulc

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 09:35:02 am »
I used black sharpie on either side of edge to help ensure my angle while sharpening was good.....Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 11:27:46 am »
I used black sharpie on either side of edge to help ensure my angle while sharpening was good.....Paul

Okay that explains it.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise