Author Topic: Natural Bow Strings  (Read 2658 times)

Offline blindarcher

Natural Bow Strings
« on: March 23, 2022, 11:00:58 am »
I am looking for a source that makes natural bow strings.  I have recently completed an attempt at making a pseudo authentic native American bow, but I lack the skill for making a natural bow string, hence my question of looking for a supplier of natural bow strings.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Natural Bow Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 12:56:39 pm »
You might post this on our Trading Post to see if a member can help you out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 07:35:23 pm »
Thanks!  I should of thought of doing that.  Brain fart on my part.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 04:12:13 am »
I remember reading here of someone who made strings out of pig guts. Always wanted to try it.
it should be easy to buy some (it's the same stuff used for sausages) and fairly easy to twist the string

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 09:35:14 am »
The only primitive string I ever made was a sinew one, if you can make a dacron bow string you can make a sinew string, it is just a lot more labor intensive twisting each short section of sinew into your individual string bundles.

There are a lot of natural material bowstring videos on youtube.

Here is how;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpGKtfy63Rk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:43:16 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 10:29:53 am »
Thanks all!  I have made strings from commercially bought rawhide lace and from Milk Weed.  The rawhide lace worked for a while but eventually broke at the bowyer's knot where stresses were concentrated.  The rawhide lace was not consistent in quality and properties.  The string from Milk Weed, although time intensive, was remarkably strong and durable.  Anyway, I plan to attempt a string out of deer sinew and have conjured up an approach worth performing experiments.

Thanks for all your inputs!  Cheers!