Author Topic: What to do with that hide  (Read 5533 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: What to do with that hide
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 06:52:49 am »
Thanks Jerry.

I do really like that the only material used is the hide

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 08:21:34 am »
I like it, simple, nice work,also like the overalls.  ;) :) That's all I wear unless going to Church. ;) :) I am like you, hate to cut up a good clean hide, I do a lot and always have 1 or 2 that don't turn out good all over so i keep them to cut up for projects, the others I just keep to spread out on something, cover up with, look at or trade.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 10:23:57 am »
Thanks Pappy.

I really like the overalls. I was asking my wife to get me them for years and she always told me I wasn’t old enough. One night about a month before my 60th birthday I found a bag sitting on the kitchen table. It had a pair of bibs in it. My wife said I wasn’t supposed to see that.

I asked her if I could try them on anyway. I’ve been wearing them ever since. It’s amazing how much more work I can get done not having to use one hand to hold my pants up and they are so comfortable. Even in the heat people ask aren’t they hot. Not really. They fit loose and the slightest breeze blows down my leg. Actually think they are cooler.

Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 02:23:13 pm »
It always amazes me the work that was done a couple of hundred years ago by people with far less sophisticated tools.
Nothing wrong with being thrifty here.I have those traits myself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 04:55:05 pm »
It always amazes me the work that was done a couple of hundred years ago by people with far less sophisticated tools.
Nothing wrong with being thrifty here.I have those traits myself.

It is amazing isn’t it Ed.

One thing is they didn’t sit in front of a TV.

I think they made things to improve their lives as much for entertainment as for using them.

Kinda like half the fun of a bow is making it.

Bjrogg

PS you have some real skill and knowledge Ed. I always enjoy looking at your work.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2022, 04:13:38 am »
Thanks but I feel it's so so and good enough for myself.There are some real artisians out there.Going to buckskinning camps and trade fairs gives a person some insight on ideas etc.
Check out the work shown on the PP site sometime.
Good thing about stone point knives is that they will never ever rust.
Got some deer & elk  leg pouches and full length pants from 2 bucks app. the same age I'll get around to making sometime.Shot both the bucks with primitive equipment too.Kind of an added incentive.
They sure wear nice.
Make enough stuff with enough hides around makes it easier to cut into those brain tan hides.It's best to make things with a lot of fore thought done first.No impulsive moves.
Leather work is something that just grows on a person I guess.Sorta like handling furs too.
I believe it's a connection to where all these things come from.
Way too many disconnected people out there nowadays.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed