Author Topic: First board bow, More pics/questions  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Lost Oki

Re: First board bow, More pics/questions
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 05:02:28 pm »
Ok, think I have finished the tillering, made a 2nd string, 1st was 1" short.  Added string to bow, measured between string and handle, 6.5".  Note, had cut walnut off handle and added a scrap piece of cedar and reshaped, much better.  Tried to check draw weight but my digital scale keeps stopping if I don't push fast, best I got was 31lbs and 23", was shooting for 35 to 40 at 28".  Will have to take to local bow shop and see if they will check it for me.  Question:  how thick should the bow be around the nock area and last 8 inches leading into it?  Backing is burlap (see pic)  seems to work great but when I add finish to bow, should I add to backing also?  Using polyurethane.  see attached pictures.

Offline M2A

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 08:08:54 am »
Nice looking work. I'd recommend getting yourself a bow scale if its in the budget. Provided you plan on making more. I have seen some guys use mechanical scales for weighing fish, would work just fine as well. I usually find a bow will gain 2.5-3 lbs an inch so I'd bet you are a bit over your intended 40 lbs at 28". If you used a waterproff glue to attach your backing I see no need to apply the poly over it but I would just because. I like spray can paint over burlap to add a bit of color and put on light enough it does not  build up and run. you want the tips to be as thick as intended for the design. Not trying to be a wise guy on that but if you want stiff tips it should be just a bit thicker than the working limb but if you want limbs to work all the way out they should be as thick as working limb or just a bit less. Its better to not go by how thick they are but by how they are bending or not bending and what you want or need. Somewhere just over half inch i'd say but that's a guess. Good luck on the rest of the build.
Mike               

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 11:51:44 am »
Thanks Mike.  Several things I need to continue to build.  First on the list is a draw knife and I need to build a dry box.  I have two hickory staves I cut earlier this month but think I will build another board bow to improve my skills and knowledge before I start on the hickory.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 04:09:21 pm »
Get a good draw knife. I bought one after my first try taking bark n sapwood off a hickory tree I cut. Draw knife makes a huge difference. I got one that I’m not really happy with but still has made a huge difference.  I’m on the lookout for a better one. I’d like to get 3-4 more of different sizes and styles.
Good luck on your next project.

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2022, 08:53:26 pm »
Initially I was shooting this bow with 505 grain arrows, bought some 375 grain (with points), definite improvement.  Decided to add an arrow shelf and wrap the handle with leather (moose).  Did ok with the wrap, shelf works good.  Shot it several more times and the self and wrap helped.  Final pics.  Note, the dark grain is from stain I added earlier - got ahead of myself and bow needed more work.  Leather wrap; I need more experience with this.  Thanks for all the feedback it helped me a lot

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2022, 10:11:25 pm »
Bow came out real nice, especially for your 1st. Before you tackle those hickory staves make sure they are dry if you only cut them a few months ago. Hickory likes to be dryer than most woods or it will take excessive set when tillering, and be sure you seal it real good when done because it will absorb moisture and become sluggish if not. Looking forward to seeing more of your bows in the future.

If you can find an old/vintage drawknife that has not been abused, for the price, it would probably have better steel than an inexpensive newly made one. I’ve had good luck finding lightly used ones at antique malls for $25 to $50.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2022, 01:38:38 am »
Nice first bow.  Like the burlap backing too.
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2023, 07:44:51 pm »
Plan is to build another Red Oak board bow, 72" nock to nock.  I feel like I need a little more experience and need to gain more knowledge before taking on the Hickory.
Thanks for all the help and direction from all.  Note:  I have shot my first bow a total of 40 times so far and the more I shoot it, the more I like it.

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2023, 06:38:20 pm »
Finished my first bow.  I went back and reworked the handle area, much better.  Currently I am at 116 shots with the bow with no issues.  Pic is me at full draw.

Working on 2nd bow, Decided to go with the other half of board from my first bow.  62" Nock to Nock with burlap backing.  Bow is shaped, backing glued, tillering almost complete.  Hope to take to local bow shop to check poundage of both bows tomorrow.  If all looks good I will glue on a short extension to the handle and shape like my first bow.

A big thank you to all the help I got for folks on this sight...made a difference. 

Offline Kidder

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 10:13:15 pm »
Really nice job! I can tell you took you’re time on it and did it right!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2023, 10:40:31 pm »
Oki, that is so impressive! Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!