Author Topic: Edge grain Osage stave  (Read 1590 times)

Offline bassman211

Edge grain Osage stave
« on: April 11, 2022, 06:48:08 pm »
I started to reduce my last dead log  Osage stave today, and were their was a big knot hole I hit spongy wood for about 4 inches each way from the knot hole. I kept cutting into to it to get rid of the bad wood, and  the stave ended up to narrow to make the bow the conventional way, but wide, and thick enough to flop the stave, and make it an edge grain bow. I have made edge grain bows from hickory Amish wagon wheel staves that were 1,12 by 1 1/2  inches, but never with Osage. I am stiill wide,and thick enough  to get a good bow from it. Was wondering if any of you have ever made an edge grain Osage bow?

Offline Hamish

Re: Edge grain Osage stave
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 06:58:45 pm »

I've roughed out a few staves that were very narrow, but the quartered face was more meaty, and better for a wider bow.

I haven't tillered one yet, but I don't see any problem that osage would have, that would make it unsuitable, in this or any other grain orientation.

You do have to be more aware of knots, and compensate for them because even if you don't see a knot on the quartered back
its still running the full width side to side. That is true no matter species of wood you use.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:28:15 am »
I’ve made a number of edge grain Osage bamboo backed bows. Obviously starting with a board but the concept is the same. The biggest issue is being aware of any and all pin knots. On an edge grain the pins run across the belly and have a tendency to come out the side. Just be conscious of them and plan accordingly.

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 03:23:02 am »
Most pin knots will probably make edge grain bows fail if they are close to the back. I have flipped several such staves and put the pin knots near the belly. Still rather iffy. But nowadays I only make 30 pounders with Osage split staves.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 10:50:08 am »
I have only one knot on the bow's back, but it does concern me. It runs from the middle of limb out toward the side. I going to clean it out to see what I have. Maybe take a shot at saw dust ,and crazy glue patch, and sinew back it with hide glue. If it fails I can at least save the sinew.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 12:25:25 pm »
While floor tillering it snapped at the knot. Haven't broke one in a long time. Some staves are just not meant to be a bow I guess.  Lost around 7 hrs. of labor.  Oh well on to hop hornbeam,and blue beech. Thanks for the info. Lesson learned.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 04:10:33 pm »
least it snapped before you got to full draw,, (-S
I never had much luck with edge grain osage,, I know in theory it should be fine,, but mine were never that good,, :) :G

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 05:26:32 pm »
I did alright with hickory ,but it was straight, and knot free. It was straight enough, but the rot in the knot  was worse than I thought. I will use it to roast some white wood bellies.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 09:19:52 pm »
Sorry to hear that.That knot running at an angle might of had something to do with it.A person learns to have a thick skin making these bows.I can attest to that myself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 09:34:56 pm »
A person learns to have a thick skin making these bows.I can attest to that myself.

I agree. You don't want to get too attached to any of them until they have tossed a few arrows and survived that test. Anything earlier than that is counting chickens.

Mark

Offline bassman211

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 01:16:40 pm »
Yes I have broken more than my share of them over the years. Learned a little each time, but I am happy I managed  6 bows from 2 dead Osage logs, and staves that are challenging will in the end make you a better bowyer. All is good , and have a nice Easter.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 04:45:48 pm »
That's exactly the way I'd look at it too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed