Author Topic: Ethical range?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Ruckus

Ethical range?
« on: April 11, 2022, 04:07:28 pm »
I am new (ish) to traditional archery. I am mostly self taught with the help of a few books and the internet. I took up trad to make hunting more of a challenge. What I have not seen too much literature about is effective (ethical) range for big game animals. When I am shooting well, I can put together a decent group at 30+ yards. If I had an animal broadside at that distance I am confident that I could hit the spot. My concern is the animals movement during arrow flight. Taking a step or jumping the string. It may not even be there when my arrow lands and therefore negates the best placed shot. What I have seen mentioned is 20 yards or less on deer. Are folks taking 30 yard shots at animals with traditional gear?  So far I have taken one big game animal with my bow. I was surprised how much it moved during my arrows flight. What are other folks considering to be ethical shots with traditional gear?  For reference, I am shooting a Wes Wallace Mentor 65#@29 inches. With a 610 grain arrow. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Buckskinner

Re: Ethical range?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 04:34:01 pm »
I have yet to hunt with traditional archery equipment as I just started building bows this winter, but I will say your question is not cut and dry.  Doesn't  matter what type of weapon you are using ethical range has many facets beginning with the skill of the shooter followed by many other contributing factors.  I guess what I'm saying is that you need to decide what your ethical range is.

Offline Ruckus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 04:47:42 pm »
I have built arrows. And have started building (er, breaking) bows. Each new project is a step from Traditional” to “primitive”. I am sure my effective range will drop as I get a self now that will be legal to hunt with in my state.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 04:53:57 pm »
    I think its depends on the animal,,
but an ethical distance would be the distance you are accurate under pressure,, not the target range when warmed up,,
or shooting groups,,
so I think start closer than you think and if your success rate is good,, then extend your ethical range a little at a time if needed,,
deer do move alot sometimes,,taking that into consideration,, i dont like to shoot further than 15 yards,,
     if someone told me,, Brad, I killed every deer I shot at 25 yards,, then I would say you are shooting an ethical distance,, everyone is different,,
     if the deer would stand still and you hit him at 100 yards your bow would be deadly, so its not a matter of how effective your bow is,, just a matter of being able to get the arrow in the right spot with all the variables,,, the closer you are the better your chance of success,,
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 04:57:03 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 06:45:27 pm »
Most of my shots at deer were under 15 yards, one at 8'. This was in The S.E. US in thick pine/hardwood woods and from a tree stand. I have taken shots out to 30 yards but it was without thought, the situation just felt right. The arrow went under his chest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 08:22:26 am »
DEPENDS, i really like them at 5 yards but I watch the deer, if it is feeding and not alert I will take a shot at 20 or so, if it is alert I don't usually take a shot no matter the distance, most of the deer i have killed have been between 5 and 15 yards. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 04:00:29 pm »
Pappy,, when I shoot, they get alert real quick ;D

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 01:45:46 pm »
My absolute max is 30 yards, and I'll only take that shot if I'm really practiced up, and the animal is broadside, level, unalerted, and standing still.  If the animal is on the alert, I don't shoot further than 20.  Most critters around here aren't all that inclined to jump the string unless they're already on high alert.  Out here in the open west, it's awfully hard to get closer than 20-30 yards, which means I don't take a lot of shots.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 06:56:33 pm »
that makes things challenging,, hope you get some good shots this year,,  :OK

Offline Ruckus

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 02:42:53 am »
It is almost spring bear time here in Alaska. I don’t think those critters jump too many strings. Black tails in the fall tend to move quite a bit. So there is a lot of factors that go into it.   Fingers crossed I find a black bear tomorrow night.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 05:38:16 am »
Good luck to you.Your set up is more than enough I'd say for a quick kill with a 2 blade broadhead.
I pass on more shots under 20 yards than I take.Angle/body language in question.Things have got to be right for me.Patience.It's disappointing and a lot more work to foul shoot an animal.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 01:38:27 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 06:40:41 pm »
Good luck on your bear hunt. :) Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good