Author Topic: Allyn T Rock  (Read 1667 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Allyn T Rock
« on: April 20, 2022, 11:04:04 pm »
Yo Allyn, the rock be good mon!  I got back from my eastern turkey trip and spalled out the big chunk you gave me.  It was freeze cracked some, and I suck at spalling, so I didn't get the nice, pretty spalls like the ones you gave me in the bucket.  That said, I heat treated some of the pieces I did knock off along with a variety of other stuff that I have that is tougher than tough.  I had an hour between dropping my boy off at church and picking him back up, so I started messing around with the first piece I came to in the roaster.  I got a little greedy in the low light conditions as the sun set and tried to get rid of a step from the opposite side of the piece and did not realize I had gotten thinner in the middle than at the tips...and you can guess what happened next.  Regardless, I was able to get to the point I did in less than an hour and the stuff was working absolutely perfectly.  I appreciate the rock dood, and I look forward to getting to know it a lot better over the next few months.
;;
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 12:18:20 am by ssrhythm »

Offline ssrhythm

Re: Allen T Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:09:12 pm »
And the turkey trip was good!  Brought home a variety of groceries!
;

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Allyn T Rock
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 10:17:12 am »
Dang! I hate that shock snap, looks like you had it nice and thin though
In the woods I find my peace

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 05:21:36 pm »
I know better than to keep knapping when I lose decent light, but I can’t seem to stop myself.  I’m sure platform was too stout or high or both.  But yes, that was the best point from beginning to end that I’ve done right up until it snapped, and I have not been beating on any rock since September.  The rock was predictable it flaked very nicely.  Thanks again.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Allen T Rock
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 05:40:26 pm »
And the turkey trip was good!  Brought home a variety of groceries!
;

Wow, looks like bacon-wrapped turkey is on the menu!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 06:46:48 pm »
You are welcome, I'm glad you are enjoying it. Looking forward to seeing what you make
In the woods I find my peace