Author Topic: Man, I'm really getting good...  (Read 3164 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Man, I'm really getting good...
« on: April 21, 2022, 07:28:57 pm »
at THIS!
;

So, aside from doing a little pressure flaking and notching on some small points I had almost finished already, I have not knapped since August or September of last year.  I have picked up some bifaces and half-finished points and theorized about how I should attack problem areas and finish them, and I have been watching knapping vids, but I have not actually beaten on rock...and I think stepping back and taking a break has helped. 

I got both of these points to this stage in less than an hour, and I'm really pleased with my progress on them.  That said, I've obviously got two problem with what I'm doing that need to be overcome somehow. 

The first problem is creating nasty step fractures that I can't remove with an expanding flake from the near side.  This may just be the way these two stones set up, but the steps were nearly identical on both points.  If I can figure out how to avoid getting these steps when getting to this point, problem 2 is a moot issue.  SInce I know I will not be able to avoid this first problem entirely...

Problem 2.  I have no problems eliminating step fractures that are not parallel to the edge of the piece.  I can even remove the steps that are parallel to the edge of the piece if they are near enough to the corners or base that I can attack them from there, but when I get a step that is parallel to the edge of the piece and have to attack it from the opposite edge...sending a flake well across the centerline, this keeps happening.  On both of these points, I set up a relatively strong platform below centerline (on the smaller pt for sure) and had steady convexity from the platform to the step.  On both strikes with indirect percussion, the flake eliminated the step fracture for the most part, but the pieces shock-snapped. 

How do I fix this?  Should my platform be lower below cenerline?  Should I create a weaker platform?  Should I give up some width and try to get closer to the step?  What do you think the best strategy is to stop doing what I'm doing while eliminating the step while not compounding the problem?  Heck, am I tying to go too thin?  I know the enemy of good is better, but I really want to be able to make super thin points...and somewhat thin points have to come before super thin.

I'm happy with my progress, but my family is really tired of hearing me yell "doooooooh! %$^#!," and I'd really like to get a nice, larger point finished.

Thanks for any input and advice.

Offline paulc

Re: Man, I'm really getting good...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 09:08:28 pm »
Story of my knapping life....keep trying.  I've learned to leave it undone for days or weeks. Come back and pick at the piece some more. Leave it alone. Come back and pick at it some more.

Fwiw, Paul

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 09:27:02 pm »
Instead of trying to remove it all at once maybe try a series of flakes to remove it with less robust platforms. It might reduce the shock. Also if it is a deep hinge and the point is already pretty thin that means the point is basically half this in the middle already, might be the issue. I have a really tough time with removing hinges like that too. Mine come from tilting the piece up to high so the strike is shooting in more than going around.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 10:41:43 pm »
I’m thinking that may be the issue too.  I probably shoulda accepted that they had a step and not tried to completely eliminate them.  I’m pretty sure I am not supporting correctly on this kind of strike/flake also.  I had the back and as much of the base and tip supported well and I left where I wanted the flake to run unsupported without fingers and had fingers on each side of where I wanted it to run….kind of like the slot in a slotted rubber pad.  I figured that would send the flake further across, but it also probably allowed it to bend too much at the strike.  What kind of support would you suggest when trying to send a flake side to side on an already thin piece?  Soft leather underneath?  I’m sure I am not understanding the finer points of proper support.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 01:39:05 am »
For the support problem, make sure your not “over supporting” it. Don’t have a death grip. Other than that I’m still trying to figure it out too… my support on a piece changes every other hit lol.

For the first problem I totally understand where your coming from and I’m working on that too. The most common thing I’ve heard/found is platform preparation, and the angle your hitting/pressure flaking at. So grind grind grind, and make sure your angle is right! Even if these things don’t work hopefully it helps narrow it down!

Hope that helps a little…
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 07:12:36 am »
Man I have no idea about support lol, I haven't figured it out. I was actually gonna suggest supporting it exactly the way you described, so if you already are I'd guess your problem is the weakness from the hinge not your technique. Hopefully someone else chimes in, I don't know jack otherwise I'd be making great points lol

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 10:39:29 pm »
Appreciate it fellas.  I really need to figure out how to make time to go to some knap-ins.  Maybe knapping with some people who’ve figure things out will help them help me figure things out.  This is the most difficult thing I’ve ever tried to learn; good thing it’s one of the most fun and rewarding things, because I can see why folks would give up.

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 01:18:59 pm »
Different stone behaves differently to indirect percussion.  Some stone likes some finger support some doesn’t require it.  At least that has been my experience thus far.  The surface you are trying to send flakes across also should be convex.  Step fractures are a witch to deal with.  Occasionally I can blast one off from the near side with a lot of finger support.  Usually the piece just has to lose width and pressure flake up to the step and then use indirect percussion to knock the step off.  I’ve been at this a couple years now without a mentor.  YouTube and breaking a ton of rock. 

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 09:22:27 am »

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 10:36:18 pm »
Thanks A.  This little bit of info should be very helpful.